ADI Forums
captnKB

slot floor drains

We run our 1.5" and 2" hoses directly into our trench drain (with the grate removed) when we're emptying liquid stillage or whatever else -- that slot drain would not allow for that. It looks cool though.

• reaction_title_1 2

After spending an hour today on my knees scrubbing the floor drains so they were impeccably clean - how exactly do you clean a slot drain?  Looking at the site they talk about plumbing in CIP systems or flush lines?  Sounds pricey.

I'll second Lenny's comment about popping off a grate and dropping in a hose.

3 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

After spending an hour today on my knees scrubbing the floor drains so they were impeccably clean [...]

Uh, why?

I can't imagine how many tri clamp gaskets I'd lose in a drain like that...

• reaction_title_1 2

Power washers clean every damn thing we have, including furry trench drains.  Make the investment and buy a good one.  You wont regret it.

6 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Power washers clean every damn thing we have, including furry trench drains.  Make the investment and buy a good one.  You wont regret it.

+1 on a power washer and detergents, heat, etc. all assist on the cleaning. A concern about the slotted drain is plugging of the slot with solids, semi-solids and slow drainage if a large amount of material needs to be flushed from the floor. The small volume of the evacuation channel will not allow the same drainage as a regular grated channel.

They do look nice.

As someone who is very familiar with Slot Drain Systems product I can say it's one of the best trench drains out there. Sure you could remove grates and use a power washer but the amount of time and money you would lose on continually doing that would end up being way more then if you use one of these drains. There is also catch basins and strainer baskets to catch anything that could fall in  so you wouldn't have to worry about losing tri clamp gaskets or anything else.

This Blog post will sum up what i said to a much better degree.

http://blog.slotdrainsystems.com/how-much-do-you-spend-per-year-cleaning-your-trench-drain

Having worked in a food packing plant, I can see the advantage to slot drains for incidental messes and I wish we had them there. But it looks like the way slot drains deal with the concerns brewers/distillers have of not being able to handle dumping tanks is 'do something else with slurries and solids'.

http://blog.slotdrainsystems.com/5-issues-brewers-must-consider-about-their-trench-drains

We're thinking of installing a 15 foot section in Jan. to see if we want to convert for our expansion, I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

I'm sick of power washing trenches, bring on the CIP!