Recording stripping runs/heads/tails on monthly reports

fa20driver

Newbie question -

If I am stripping "beer" to make whiskey or saving heads/tails cuts from a whiskey spirit run, at the end of the month do I include this in my calculation of "proof gallons of whiskey produced"  on 5110.40 - Monthly Report of Production Operations?  I understand that I would need to  record them on my own daily report of operations, but is it considered "produced" according to the TTB, or do I only report the whiskey as produced once it is finished and ready for barreling/storage?

As a second part to this question - do "unfinished products" such as heads/tails or stripping run materials need to be entered into "storage" on report 5110.11 or again, do I wait until the product is "finished" before entering them into this report?

I assume that in either case, the ingredients would need to be recorded in part VI - "materials used" in the month that they were used, regardless if they resulted in a finished product or not...

Thank you!

• Thumbs up 1

Heads, tails,  and hearts held for further distillation, are all unfinished spirits.  You do not include unfinished spirits in the production report unless it is the end of the quarter, when you make the required physical inventory of spirits in the production account.  Then you record them in the field provided for unfinished spirits (17b).

Do not enter any of them into the storage account.  I say that with jumping up and down emphasis.  You only enter finished spirits into storage.  

NSG produced for use in making gin and vodka in the processing account is finished spirits, even if you will use them to make vodka or gin by restillation in the processing account.  

You determine the quantity produced based on the production gauge.  

For some spirits, like neutral spirits that you will use to manufacturer vodka or gin in the processing account, you sometimes can skip entry to the storage account, but that is not the case for whiskey, which you will age.  That is an operation that takes place in the storage account.     

It is really important that you understand how TTB uses words.  I can't begin to explain most of that here.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2016 at 9:53 PM, dhdunbar said:

Heads, tails,  and hearts held for further distillation, are all unfinished spirits.  You do not include unfinished spirits in the production report unless it is the end of the quarter, when you make the required physical inventory of spirits in the production account.  Then you record them in the field provided for unfinished spirits (17b).

Understood, thank you.

Do not enter any of them into the storage account.  I say that with jumping up and down emphasis.  You only enter finished spirits into storage.  

Emphasis received and noted.  Thank you again.

NSG produced for use in making gin and vodka in the processing account is finished spirits, even if you will use them to make vodka or gin by restillation in the processing account.  

Ok, so If, in June, I produced 100 PG of 189 proof spirits for use in making Vodka/Gin in later months, would I enter them as both produced, stored, but not as unfinished spirits for the purposes of recording quarterly inventory (Production report line J11, J14, J 17.) 

Then in July, if I used 50 PG of the 189 proof neutral to make 49 PG of Vodka to be put into storage, I would enter 50 PG on J15 (received for re-distillation),  and 49 PG on line J14 of the production report ?  Would I enter anything into Part V (used in redistillation?)

On the storage report for July, I would just "transfer the 50 PG out of storage and 49 PG back into storage? 

You determine the quantity produced based on the production gauge.  

For some spirits, like neutral spirits that you will use to manufacturer vodka or gin in the processing account, you sometimes can skip entry to the storage account, but that is not the case for whiskey, which you will age.  That is an operation that takes place in the storage account.     

I assume that I would only do this if I produced and bottled the vodka/gin product in the same month.

It is really important that you understand how TTB uses words.  I can't begin to explain most of that here.  

I get the importance...

Well, if you produce 189 for use in vodka, you have a problem, because you use neutral spirits to make vodka (vodka is a type of the class neutral spirits, so ...

Standards of identity are definitions of the class and type of products.  

Your questions really require a lot of explanation.  I answer questions of general interest on the forum for free to repay the opportunity that those of you who put your money on the line to start craft distilleries give me to act as a consultant.  Briefly - you do not redistill vodka in the production account.  You would likely hold the vodka in bulk in the processing account, and ... its to long.

I don't use the forum as a way of soliciting business - as I say, my participation is a thank you, although some people do contact me because of my participation.  If you want to send me a personal message, we can talk about what I can do for you as a consultant.  We are really talking about the need for a crash DSP 101 course. That takes more time and attention than I can give to the questions that arise from individual situations.  I hope you understand.

I should have said, I am producing (or had produced) 189 proof neutral to re-distill into Vodka... but I suppose then it probably wouldn't be considered "neutral".  If this is the case, I suppose it also wouldn't be considered a finished product to be entered into the production according to the conversation above, and wouldn't need to be recorded until I was able to get the actual proof needed to comply with the standards of identity for Vodka...

dhdunbar - I was going to ask if you provide consulting services - will contact you via PM.