ADI Forums
Odin

Odin on Gin

... and congrats to Peter Mulryan and his Blackwater Distillery for being nominated best international gin producer of 2017 by IWSC!

If you are from North America and want to learn what we have to share on distilling, fermenting, and of course award winning gin making, please see attached link:

http://www.newworlddistillery.com/news/

We are organizing a new 3-day workshop at the New World Distillery in Utah. In January, so if you want to combine it with some skiing, that's perfectly possible. Only half an hour from SLC Airport, btw. Participants rate our workshop with a 9.7 out of 10. Very proud of that result.

For more info and/or registration, please reach out to ashley@newworlddistillery.com

Regards, Odin.

IMG_5862.jpg

Shaun and Lindi launch their Vryheid Gin! Congrats guys!

24796742_10213518310606420_6512502979240772982_n.jpg

Multi-Shot vs. Mono-Shot

So a new topic that isn't about gin distillers but about gin making. Today, I want to dive into "multi shots". A term that disturbed me at first. But it was all over the (especially) UK market, so I had to dive in and find out. Well, here is what multi shot means. And if you already knew, sorry to bore you. Multi shots basically means that you make a gin and then dilute it over a bigger batch of grain neutral spirit. You use one gin run to make more gin than the actual gin run provided.

Okay. Now, some could say that its basically dilution, right? And technically it is. But the counterpoint, the counter argument, if you will, may sound like this: "But if you add way more herbs on that one gin run, you basically create a (very) concentrated gin. And that concentrate (an essence, technically, but then again: all gins are technically essences) can then be used to make more gin by diluting with more gns. Right, dilution, there you have it again.

At a presentation by the lovely looking professor doctor X and the slightly less impressive looking gin master Y on multi shots (vs. mono shots - an approach where you just make gin in one run, dilute it, then bottle it), a customer asked them, after listening carefully, if they had any advice: "Should we use it or not?" The answer was: "Well, some like it and others don't." Not very helpful in my opinion.

Let's cut out all the wording and zoom in on the essential. It's not about multi or mono shot strategies. It's simply about dilution. And about the taste profile you are after. If you are after a bold, heavy gin, you will not want to dilute. If you want to call that approach single or mono shot, because that sounds better, be my guest. If you want a lighter style gin, dilution works great. No problem whatsoever. And if you are after big, bold tasting gin AND after efficiency, yes, you can create an oversaturated gin essence, but please know there is only so many taste the alcohol - during a distillation run - can bring over. In other words: efficiency, by persuing a dilution (sorry, I mean multi shot) strategy to gin can only be taken so far. In my experience maybe 1:2. So one heavy botanicals run of - say - 100 liters of 70% results is good to add to no more than 200 liters of 70% gns. For a bold style. Anything else by definition becomes lighter style gin. Good, if that was your goal.

One last thing I'd like you to take into consideration is that on the gin run we cut. We cut out the first little bit of the run to get rid of excessive juniper oils. And we stop before the run is done and before all alcohol comes over, not to over-emphasize tails related rooty and nutty flavors. So by doing the actual gin run, we also cut the gns we work with for heads and tails. Now, depending on the quality of your gns, you may not need any cuts on heads and tails of your gns at all. But if your gns quality is not perfect (and I found most do have some heads and tails present), and you do a multi shot/dilution strategy, you will introduce nicely cut gin/gns to non-cut gns, potentially affecting total product quality and taste in a negative way.

Now, that's it for today. Almost of to catch the plane from Detroit to Madison!

Regards, Odin.

Hi Odin-

Wouldn't "multi-shot" technically be compounding? If one is distilling a concentrated gin for the purposes of diluting it into GNS, how would that be different than adding concentrated gin essence to GNS (ie. compounding) to make a compound gin? Is it just the scale of the process that is different?

Hi Sator Square, yeah, good point! Maybe multishot sounds fancier than compounded. On the other hand I have heard compounded being used for sorta macerated gins. GNS or vodka and soak the herbs in it and create a gin without distillation. Gin confusion.

Odin.