ADI Forums
Odin

Odin on Gin

4 hours ago, Odin said:

Okay, thank you very much for your feedback. We are going to make this happen. More info soon. We are aiming at the first week of June and looking at New Jersey: Corgi Distilling. Owner and distiller Bob Hageman makes amazing gins, has a great tasting room and loves to host us.

Remember, this is going to be much more than a gin school! The goal is to do your personal gin recipe formulation, so that by the time the workshop is done, you'll know all there is to making amazing gin ... and you'll have your personal recipe ready to launch into production.

We'll dive into:

- Odins Theory of Distillation;

- Recipe formulation;

- How distillation can help you harvest the tastes you are looking for;

- Methods of flavor extractions (pros and cons);

- Taste evaluation: The Objective Taste Model;

- Still design and gin: how your specific still needs to be set-up to maximize results;

- And so much more.

And we'll do gin runs, make extracts, essences and a whole lot more, while working in small groups of 2 to 3 to push not only your knowledge but also your experience in gin making forward.

I am very excited about all this!

Regards, Odin.

What would the cost of something like this be?

We are still working on the pricing, Proof. The reason I do not know yet, is that we are considering a few things. Like bringing over an additional world class gin maker from the UK. And we are even considering bringing a lab gin still for everyone. To do the gin recipe development on and to take back to your distillery later for possible future experiments. That kit is still in development, but it would be awesome to work with. Column, potstill, reflux still and extractor in one machine. Only a few liters big, but amazingly versatile as a kit to develop ANY future product in. Not just for gin! A hole laboratory set-up in just one piece of equipment. See picture underneath for a the prototype we are building right now. Also, we didn't decide yet on how many people we'll allow in. What are your guys ideas on this?

Regards, Odin.

a4ac37db-8a5b-4db5-a5cb-95eb2cbe0f42.JPG

On 3/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, Odin said:

We are still working on the pricing, Proof. The reason I do not know yet, is that we are considering a few things. Like bringing over an additional world class gin maker from the UK. And we are even considering bringing a lab gin still for everyone. To do the gin recipe development on and to take back to your distillery later for possible future experiments. That kit is still in development, but it would be awesome to work with. Column, potstill, reflux still and extractor in one machine. Only a few liters big, but amazingly versatile as a kit to develop ANY future product in. Not just for gin! A hole laboratory set-up in just one piece of equipment. See picture underneath for a the prototype we are building right now. Also, we didn't decide yet on how many people we'll allow in. What are your guys ideas on this?

Regards, Odin.

a4ac37db-8a5b-4db5-a5cb-95eb2cbe0f42.JPG

Well I am ready to sign up - just let me know!

-Scott

Congrats Jon, on winning another medal with your Canterbury Gin!

Regards, Odin.

29062987_10155168259525474_9012939242308894720_n.jpg

Wanna see some iStill Gin Magic? Check out the movie in the link underneath:

We'll teach how to do this during the Jersey City Advanced Gin School!

Regards, Odin.

Hi Odin, I'm santiago from Argentina, first of all, I'm sorry if my English is not good haha. I saw a video of you making a gin on YouTube and if it's not a problem, I want to ask you something because I'm new to the subject of distillation and I'm learning.

i will destill a neutral alcohol with 96%, first I reduce the abv with destilled water to 40%, I would like to know when to start collecting distillate and when to finish. From what I understand, you should start collecting at 80ºC (because the metanol) and finish no further than 92ºC (tails will destroy my flavours ? ). I'm wrong? 

It depends a bit on the still you use and the flavor profile you are after, BJ! If you use an iStill you'd be pretty much spot on for a multi-dimensional gin. Front, middle, and back. I just helped set-up a new Irish distillery and those were the settings we dialed in. I do advice you taste, especially from 91C onwards to make sure you don't make your gin to tails oriented.

On Ireland ... the visit here was amazing. Beautiful distillery (see my other tread on how iStill is doing), amazing people, beautiful weather.

And a nice surprise on the way out, via the airport: our customers are taking over the shelf all over the place. Rumor has it that "we" kicked back big alcohol and made them lose 55% market share in the last two years. Craft distillers rule!

https://istillblog.com/2018/05/17/istill-customers-take-over-irish-gin-market/

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1128.jpg

• reaction_title_1 1

And here's a picture of Tim picking up his iStill 100 for product development. Genever and gin will be among his first products! A dozen iStill distilleries in Belgium and counting!

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1131.jpg

• reaction_title_1 1