ADI Forums
Odin

Odin on Gin

Hi all,

My first post. I have had a search and cant find any previous questions covering this:

I have recently started making Gin, people like it and want it so I must be doing something right but I want to improve it.

• I have been pounding my botanicals in a pestle and mortar. Is this correct.
  • My the tails come of tainted a light brown], any idea what causes this?
  • Can I add them to my next run?

I am finding this forum and particularly Odin's topic extremely interesting and informative.

Thanks David

Thank you for the kudo's, David. I'll try to dive into your questions and give you my opinion:

1. Lots of work. Not needed. Boiling will do it for you. And your gin base gets boiled for a long time (when boiler infused gin is your thing). I'd only advice to put the juniper berries in at 60% over night, because they are thick skinned;

2. Weird. Sounds like you get some coloration over, indicating you have puking? Maybe herbs in the column and (slight) blockage of the column? If you tell more about your set-up, its easier to dive in deeper;

3. Nope. You will create too much of a back of throat flavor. If possible collect your tails and rerun them into a vodka. If your equipment allows. You can re-use the vodka as gns base for a next gin run.

Hope this info helps. Any more Q's, let me know.

Regards, Odin.