Odin

Odin on Gin

Had a newb question on Gin, and this looks like the place to ask! (If not, apologies, I can start a separate thread).

We do everything from grain, so will not be using GNS.  My gin basket is located right after the pot, before the columns (separate 4 plate and 16 plate columns).  So the idea was to take our filtered vodka, diluted down to 30%, and redistill this for our Gin.  The question I have is how many plates should I run this through after the gin basket?  Straight to the condenser?  Through 4 plates?  Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

None. You need a potstill approach, otherwise you'll loos part of the taste you were actually looking for in the gin. If you start with a 30% base drink, already cut, you'll end up with a 70% strong gin. No need for plates.

Regards, Odin.

We are doing our first boiler macerated gin today and are pretty excited. We have been getting great feedback on our vapor distilled gin, but I think that's because it is pleasing to the non-gin drinker, since its "lighter". If this batch turns out great we want to look at doing a spring/summer gin that uses local blossoms. We figured we would throw those in the basket and macerate everything else. Any pointers on quantities/ratios for blossoms/flower petals?

• reaction_title_1 1

Depends on the flowers. If you have a small test still, do it in that and find your sweet spot. Or do one bigger run with just the flowers, to extend their shelf life. And mix in to a gin batch according to your taste.

Gin making in the USA!

Regards, Odin.

Hi there,

Perfume Trees Gin, produced at iStill HQ, for our Hong Kong customers won best of class gin / platinum at Sip Awards.

https://www.facebook.com/perfumetreesgin/

Regards, Odin.

Hello Odin, 

Thanks for all of this info, I've been researching on my own and its been very helpful. Writing you from Chile! looking forward to create a nice gin over here.

I would like to ask you about herb bills. What if I don't want to use coriander as a secondary botanical? I'm looking for ways to create a not very typical gin, so my thought at first is to take out coriander, but the thing is that if I take it out, my herb bill falls way down the 25 gr of botanicals per litre, and it seems very difficult to get up there in the 25-30 gr per litre range. So in a way I could push up the juniper, but I don't want it to be very juniper forward, and since I'm using very herbal botanics, almost all of them fall in the x100, x80.

Right now Im using 15 gr of juniper per litre, and for example - lavender (which I'm not using) would be x100. 

15/100=0.15 gr of lavender. And with all my other botanics (herbal, flowers, citrus, fixative) its like getting into 16-17 gr per litre, so how would you upscale that to fall into the 25 gr range, or should I leave it as it is. Is it possible to create gin without coriander or is it a must. I could put juniper in the 20 gr per litre, but I would still fall almost below 25 gr per litre if I don't use any secondary or tertiary botanic, and it would be a very juniper forward gin.

I'm experimenting by distilling 1 litre of alcohol in my pot still.

Thanks a lot, Cheers!

some gins don't have coriander seed at all, and if you want a very different gin then why try stick to the "normal" herb bill? just experiment and see where it takes you.

• reaction_title_1 1

Hi Tomas,

If you do not want to use coriander, you potentially leave a hole in the middle ... and some citrusy flavors at the front. What you could do is increase lime/lemon peel from x/100 to x/50 and add a bit of juniper. For instance go 20 grams to start with. You will now end up with 23 grams of total herbs ...

Chile, right? We have a few iStill customers over there!  Are you one of them?

Regards, Odin.

• reaction_title_1 1

3 hours ago, Odin said:

Hi Tomas,

If you do not want to use coriander, you potentially leave a hole in the middle ... and some citrusy flavors at the front. What you could do is increase lime/lemon peel from x/100 to x/50 and add a bit of juniper. For instance go 20 grams to start with. You will now end up with 23 grams of total herbs ...

Chile, right? We have a few iStill customers over there!  Are you one of them?

Regards, Odin.

Hey Odin, thanks for your reply really appreciate it.

Yes from Chile, I've looked through the iStill it looks great!, but sadly i'm not one of them, and i'm curious who could be... I'm researching and doing the business plan to start a distillery over here. I would love to spend on an iStill but it's kind of over my budget right now, but hopefully in the near future.

Keep up with that! they look awesome, and I'm sure they perform even better. Cheers! 

Congrats to the Slingsby Team. Proud to have you as our customers.

Regards, Odin.