How Much Does/Did Your Glass Cost You?

FinishedRye

I'd love to hear how much people are spending on their glass for 750ml bottles. 

Please feel free to post:

Bottle Cost

Cap/Cork Cost

Label  Cost

Shipping Cost

In my research on the subject I'm seeing prices vary like crazy. What's a reasonable floor estimate for glass of acceptable quality and consistency? Ali Baba has some crazy low prices from Asian suppliers but I suspect the quality isn't quite there to justify ordering for the absolute cheapest. I just don't know what a "reasonable" floor cost would be for non-custom 750ML glass. 

All thoughts and insights greatly appreciated!

I am looking into this as well... the prices I'm getting quoted are anywhere from, I believe, $1.38 to well over $2... would like to see some around $1 or less... as far as alibaba... I don't know if the quality is lacking, but the shipping over here definitely will leave you yearning for something to ease that burn.

• 1 month later...

There are bottles out there that can be around $1. Of course, quantity helps drive down the price. Many companies have a large selection of stock bottles to choose from. 

Other ways to drive down cost are looking at height of bottle and weight. The shorter height allows for more cases per pallet and a lighter weight bottle helps lower shipping costs. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was about to post this same question but I see the discussion is underway already. Are these stock bottles we're talking about here? We were quoted $1.56 per bottle (plus $500 shipping) based on a pallet of 750ml bottles. These are produced and shipped domestically. Does that seem high or in the ballpark? 

• 2 months later...

Under a dollar can be hard to hit.  At Pavisa Glass we have some popular stock lines that sell right at that dollar mark, but that is before shipping.  Since our factory is in Mexico, we just this year, 2017 are teaming up with Quest Industries, an excellent bottle decorator with warehousing in Kentucky and California to try to reduce shipping costs by sending truckloads of a mix of popular stock items to them for craft distillers to release as needed.

For Pavisa, it means we improve lead times to clients and although we decorate too, by sending blank glass to Quest, they have the glass you need on their floor to meet all your decorating needs without worrying about full truckloads to add that level of sophistication and personalization.

If you just want the glass released from there, that is okay too.

Glass costing in the $1.50 - $1.70 range is more common and has more variety in shape and weight.  There are lots of good choices from various glass manufacturers and distributors in this price range.  Glass over $2.00 is also very common as more and more people are looking for differentiation and owning their own design.  Sometimes it is the decoration that brings it up to the $2-$3 range, but even our largest accounts will spend this much on glass only when they want the glass to be part of the product identity.

Consider this part of my answer bias, but we work hard to make sure there are stock items available to the industry to provide low cost quality options, but our hands-down favorite thing to do is design something custom for your brand.

A semi-automatic tool is about $10K and a 5,000 piece run brings you in at that $2.25 to $2.50 level.

When the time is right for you to move to automatic tooling and meet higher minimum runs, pricing drops back to the $1.00 level you want long term.

• 1 month later...

pavisa - did I understand you that you provide a custom bottle for 10K with a MOQ of 5000? 

we pay between $3-4 depending on bottle size and this includes shipping - but we're on an island so mainland is a lot cheaper.  Back in KY we had off-the-shelf bottles that were $1.50 including shipping but they were warehoused a few hours drive away from us, not a few weeks on a boat.

FinishedRye - it'll kill your cash flow but pay attention to pricing tiers.  As for international orders, remember that you'll need a customs bond, import duties, etc that can significantly add to the cost of your bottles (at least in our dealings with China)

Yes, we make custom molds for $10K with MOQ's of 5,000.

No strings attached.  Mexico is covered by NAFTA, so there are no duties to worry about, just freight.  We currently have multiple projects in Hawaii.  I bet I even have some freight estimates I can find.  At 5,000 run quantities we are in the mid $2 range depending upon design.  Do you label during fill, or should we also look at artwork and quote decoration?

Once we have the design and can create a packaging specification, then pallet configuration, we can figure out how to optimize the container.  A 750ml in a 12 pack reshipper would be about 15,000 in a full 40 foot shipping container, so 5,000 means we might want to look at a 20 foot container rate, plus upping the order size a bit to max out the 20 foot.

Very close to our factory is also the Stopper supplier, TAPI.  Maybe we can consolidate with them to save costs too.  I am sure they can bring their corks to us before we seal the container.  I am a firm believer in sealed containers door to door.

When is a good time to speak?

Brooke

860-350-5485

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2017 at 8:25 AM, nabtastic said:

As for international orders, remember that you'll need a customs bond, import duties, etc that can significantly add to the cost of your bottles (at least in our dealings with China)

Customs bond is $259/year, glass bottles are duty free under hts 7010.90.5019 .

• Thanks 1

Dave, who are you bonded through?  We've been letting Tiger handle it w a $500 bond and we always have added fees..but we currently only import drinking glasses, not bottles.