ACDC

Adding another to the ranks of hopeful distillery owners.  My partners and I are taking the first steps for building and opening the Alameda County Distilling Company in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I've been reading this forum for about two years and am very impressed with the community and support that exists here.  Originally inspired to pursue this after learning of St George Spirit here in Alameda and planning to add value to the current landscape with a complementary approach to spirits in the San Francisco Bay Area.  We are still working out details on a business plan for a locally focused distillery and tasting room in Alameda, CA.  

I have a wealth of information gleaned from books, the internet at large, practical experience and most importantly this forum.   I intend to create a series of 'library' posts encouraging those that have gone before to share their experience in a single thread to fill in gaps that I have, and to live on for those that follow.

Some topics for sure:

• DSP permits and tasting rooms
  • Zoning and Occupancy issues
  • Incoming Grain Handling 
  • Overlooked Items
  • TTB Forms/Process
  • Investment Experiences

I'd like to thank ALL of you who continue to share your experiences, and those that ask the questions so that we may all benefit.  I hope that one day soon, I will be able to give back as much as I have already received.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Odin said:

If you want to share: what products do you want to make?

Thanks Odin!!  I've followed you from ModernDistiller and and AD for quite a while..  I'm impressed with your persistence and success with the iStill having watched since your original announcement.  Also, quite interested in your recent sharings here on gin.

Instead of going deep in a single area, we are looking to explore and experiment across the board through our tasting room experience and sales, allowing visitors to taste intentional variants in spirit. Grain bill, aging length, botanical mix, proof, etc are all options in a full line-up.  Starting with Rum, Gin and Vodka from a cane base while we build out mashing capabilities, then moving on to grain based explorations - different bourbon and rye mash bills, a typical grains, and a few rounds with a single malts.   Hopefully we can find time and capacity to offer a line of bitters as well.  I have a background in brewing, so am exploring adding a full brewhouse to the mix, or working with local breweries for the wash.