ADI Forums
jo-el-eo

My experience with Corson Distilling

Got it,  So the drain line back to the kettle was not designed properly allowing vapor and mash to go up it.   Yeah that could cause problems  

Thanks for the post Adam. I could write a book about everything that went wrong in our dealings with those piss ants. Glad to see it out in the open. 

• reaction_title_1 1

This reinforces the need for pressure relief valves. If you are operating a still and there is not a proper PRV, install one.

Adam, Sorry to hear about your dealing with corson. The system that I worked with from them was poorly fabricated to the point of being downright dangerous to operate. @fotoskiis correct about the pressure relief valve, except in the case of a still that might come furnished with a unsized valve that does not do what it is supposed to do

The pressure relief valve on the main pot of our Corson was installed too low. Our molasses foamed up and gummed up the valve. We had to pull it apart and thourougly clean it to be certain it would work if needed. We also reworked the location so that a molasses foam up won't compromise the integrity of the relief valve.

The Corson stills have several design flaws that make them unsafe, including the worst plate design that I have ever seen.  We have been putting 5 psi Apollo pressure relief valves on our standard series and pro series stills since the beginning.  In the last year we have started putting a 2nd pressure relief valve on the columns that are on the still pots, as a redundant safety feature, just in case the safety relief valve on the pot gets clogged.  The ones on our pots are well above the liquid level in the pot, as well.   Not only does your pressure relief valve need to be of the correct PSI.  It also needs to have the correct capacity in lbs of steam per hr.  A 1/2" pressure relief valve on a 300 gallon still will cause a run away pressure situation if the valve ever pops.  Of course we also have safety valves on the jackets of our stills as well as vacuum relief valves on the inner boiler.  We specify 2 vacuum relief valves in the steam plumbing for the jacket.