ADI & distribution laws

diamond dave

Excellent Question----

Without a group such as the ADI going to battle over these issues we stand little chance to see changes in favor of distillers.

Also,is there anyone working on legislation on making a seperate bracket for 'boutique distilleries'. There's absolutely no reason we need to fall under the same bonding requirements for small quantities we produce.

And another equally important item, what ever happened to federal legislation allowing for personal distilling? That bill was brought for past several years but went nowhere. That would go a long way to seeing an increase in legal licensed boutique distillers, if coupled with the reduced bonding and reduced paperwork requirements.

It would also justify the admission fee to ADI membership if everyone knew what ADI was indeed doing to work on changing legislation to help the small folks, say under 1000 proof-gal yearly producers. :lol:

That level of production is what appears to be the most vulnerable businesses, and where most small distillers start.

Artisan distillers isn't really a good term, it says nothing of size, while boutique denotes a small operation. And that's where the most important and largest growing section is.

It is outside the scope and ability of an organization such as ADI to monitor, lobby and effect change in 50 states. A lobbying effort of the size required to create that level of change is way outside the afford-ability of a bunch of small distillers.

That being said, many on this forum have been instrumental in getting their own state laws changed, however I'm certain they all (myself included) will tell you it takes a lot of time and effort to get even minor change accomplished. The best thing to do is band together with distillers in your own state- in general, your state politicians don't give a damn what distillers in other states can or can't do- you're on your own and you need to convince them why a change will be beneficial to your state.

Is the ADI active in trying to change current distribution laws, espcecially in those states that have very restrictive regulations?

Change them how? I can guess what you mean, but you might get a more interesting discussion going if you narrow the scope. Changing most of these laws is very difficult because there are very entrenched interests that benefit from the status quo. As Ralph and other people here who have done legislative work can tell you, it is a very detail-oriented and drawn-out process.

But if you think about most trade organizations, they are primarily lobbying entities. The education and promotional stuff they do is incidental.

ADI is a membership organization and what it does with its resources is ultimately up to those members.

It is outside the scope and ability of an organization such as ADI to monitor, lobby and effect change in 50 states. A lobbying effort of the size required to create that level of change is way outside the afford-ability of a bunch of small distillers.

That being said, many on this forum have been instrumental in getting their own state laws changed, however I'm certain they all (myself included) will tell you it takes a lot of time and effort to get even minor change accomplished. The best thing to do is band together with distillers in your own state- in general, your state politicians don't give a damn what distillers in other states can or can't do- you're on your own and you need to convince them why a change will be beneficial to your state.

I understand what you are saying, but it seems to me that is a bit defeatist. You can't change 50 state laws at once, so start with one. Self-distributing for distillers that produce less than x amount. Go alphebetically by state if you want, or if you think there are lawmakers that might be friendly to the idea, go there. Having one person with the experience and knowledge to organize an effective challenge would be invaluable to dumbasses like me. Leaving eachother 'on our own' is exactly what those who do have interests in the current laws hope we will do.

I understand what you are saying, but it seems to me that is a bit defeatist. You can't change 50 state laws at once, so start with one. Self-distributing for distillers that produce less than x amount. Go alphebetically by state if you want, or if you think there are lawmakers that might be friendly to the idea, go there. Having one person with the experience and knowledge to organize an effective challenge would be invaluable to dumbasses like me. Leaving eachother 'on our own' is exactly what those who do have interests in the current laws hope we will do.

Nothing defeatist in what I'm saying. I say you CAN change the laws. I know because we've done it here with distillery direct to consumer sales and tasting laws (haven't tackled self distribution and not sure I have the desire/need to), but trying to do it through an organisation such as ADI is not practical. How much in dues are you prepared to pay to afford this effort? How long are you willing to pay these dues before the effort gets to your state? Prepare for any change to take years. We did it for virtually no money but a lot of time spent meeting, calling, writing, finding the right people who could help us and most importantly convincing politicians how it could help the state.

Cheers and good luck!

There's been a lot of discussion on here about changing state laws, but none on getting the fed side changed.

That's a single entity, rather large one, but would be easier to change than state.

The right worded bill is simply attached to a hot one and gets winged on through.