What equipment is REQUIRED before submitting DSP application?

FinishedRye

We are examining the DSP application and are wondering if we have to order equipment in ADVANCE of submitting the permit...

It seems strange to be forced to supply order slips or serial numbers for equipment for a business in advance of even having approval to operate this type of business. What happens to people who buy brand new equipment but never get a permit approved? Are they just hosed?

In any case, would love to hear people's understandings of this aspect of the permit application and if there are workarounds that TTB will allow. 

The misconception is that the ttb doesn't want to give out permits.  They want distillers as we pay taxes which pays for the ttb.  Unless you are a criminal, can't explain how to make alcohol while following the rules,  or can't prove where you are getting your money, they will probably give you a permit.   You want to have everything in place then apply since the dsp is really one of the easier steps to get open.  It's far harder to get local approval than get the actual dsp. 

The questions the TTB asks on the DSP application merely mirror the regulations. Your DSP doesn't have to be built but you at least need to tell TTB the type of still(s) you will use, the maximum proof capacity in a 24-hour period for each piece of equipment. The law presumes that if you and your partners qualify, the location qualifies and your premise and Method of Operation don't run afoul of the federal regulations, you'll get the permits. The suppliers can comment about lead time, but you'll probably want to order your equipment relatively soon after you have 1) decided you want to operate a DSP 2) determined that you qualify 3) determined that the location qualifies 4) secured your startup money. Hope this helps.

Hi Finished,

I wish Dave Dunbar was chiming in on your question.  Since he hasn't, I will tell you what he told me.  The serial number is YOUR internal serial number such as Still #1.  You can file without having equipment but you will at least have to get a practice/recipe still pretty early in the process.

Unless you think you completely understand what you need, I would contact Dave and either pay his hourly rate or have him apply for the permit for you.  dhdunbar1@gmail.com