product loss to carbon filtering

Seth

i was wondering if when using active carbon for filtering product how much loss if any will be lost to not being able to get all the. Product out of the carbon? Thanks Seth

Seth,

That really depends on what type of system your using for filtering and how big a lot is being filtered. Often you can push most of the remaining spirit out of the filter using neutral gas or water if its plate and frame of cartridge, but what you push you don't want ending up in the final product. Recently I've been using cartridge filters (large ones) and when filtering you tend to lose about 5 gallons +/-. So when filtering if you can run big lots or daisy chain smaller lots together(segregating the overlaping spirit) since the cartridge is primed that might work for you.

Cheers,

BW

i was wondering if when using active carbon for filtering product how much loss if any will be lost to not being able to get all the. Product out of the carbon? Thanks Seth

I loose about 6%. Using 1.7 liters carbon cleans up 4 gallons really well; and 5.5 gallons fairly well. Most sources advise one to dilute the product down to 40% - 60% ABV before filtering. I don't dilute, but instead run it through at 90%+. Let the carbon absorb water for at least 12 hours (it expands). Fill the filter with wet carbon keeping it wet the whole time.

After pouring the alcohol in the top of the filter, one can tell exactly where the alcohol is in the filter; because the alcohol creates heat where it meets the water. This way you can tell when the water is almost clear of the filter and when you should begin to collect the spirit. As the last of the alcohol absorbs at the top of the filter, add water (4 cups in my case) to push out the remaining alcohol. When this 4 cups is gone stop the filter: this is your spirit. Finish by collecting anything that will drip out and add to later runs through the still.

Rinse the carbon in hot water, then boil and drain. Dry carbon. Bake at 550 derees F for at least 4 hours or until bad smell goes away. Good ventilation is necessary as the fumes are toxic. Carbon can be reused hundreds of times.

Seth, That really depends on what type of system your using for filtering and how big a lot is being filtered. Often you can push most of the remaining spirit out of the filter using neutral gas or water if its plate and frame of cartridge, but what you push you don't want ending up in the final product. Recently I've been using cartridge filters (large ones) and when filtering you tend to lose about 5 gallons +/-. So when filtering if you can run big lots or daisy chain smaller lots together(segregating the overlaping spirit) since the cartridge is primed that might work for you. Cheers, BW
first what type of system are you using? When you say you lost around 5 gallons how much were you filtering qhen that loss occured?

Thanks

Seth