Baudoinia compniacensis (black fungus)

robowop

Hi There,

In my recent zone change amendment for a micro distillery, one major point of opposition is the black sludge/fungus that grows around major distilleries in the world.

I'm not really even sure how to argue this point, but I have no evidence of this happening on a micro distilling level.

Do you guys have any experience with how to calm the public regading these opinions?

Thanks!

Just now, robowop said:

Hi There,

In my recent zone change amendment for a micro distillery, one major point of opposition is the black sludge/fungus that grows around major distilleries in the world.

I'm not really even sure how to argue this point, but I have no evidence of this happening on a micro distilling level.

Do you guys have any experience with how to calm the public regading these opinions?

Thanks!

Forgot to add the wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baudoinia_compniacensis

• robowop changed the title to Baudoinia compniacensis (black fungus)

Average gas station would probably spill more E85 fuel than you would lose distillate in a year.  If it's not a problem around gas stations, I fail to see why it would be a problem at your facility.

The amount of ethanol lost to evaporation in the massive rickhouses is probably more than you will sell as product in a year.

The key is to accept their concern as valid, and communicate this, but show how it would not apply given your scale.

To wholesale dismiss a concern as not real, that's asking for a problem.

Find the ethanol loss estimates of the big rickhouses where this is a problem, and compare that to what your annual production is.  People are smart, they'll see the amount of ethanol loss to create a problem is orders of magnitude greater than is being discussed.

• Thumbs up 1

3 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

The key is to accept their concern as valid, and communicate this, but show how it would not apply given your scale.

To wholesale dismiss a concern as not real, that's asking for a problem.

Find the ethanol loss estimates of the big rickhouses where this is a problem, and compare that to what your annual production is.  People are smart, they'll see the amount of ethanol loss to create a problem is orders of magnitude greater than is being discussed.

Great advice! Thanks!

17 hours ago, robowop said:

n my recent zone change amendment for a micro distillery, one major point of opposition is the black sludge/fungus that grows around major distilleries in the world.

Someone has had too much time on their hands. Where are you located?

1 hour ago, indyspirits said:

Someone has had too much time on their hands. Where are you located?

LOL i agree.

I'm located in Toronto Canada, and building the distillery a little east of here in a rural town.  

There have been several complaints ranging from the black fungus, fire concerns, butyic acid smells and pollution concerns.  I just want to be prepared to debunk these issues come next week when I have the town hall meeting.

1 hour ago, robowop said:

There have been several complaints ranging from the black fungus, fire concerns, butyic acid smells and pollution concerns.  I just want to be prepared to debunk these issues come next week when I have the town hall meeting.

These kind of complaints really boil my piss.  When people don't understand they fear -- the old NIMBY argument. Infuriating. Best of luck in addresses their (generally) baseless concerns. We're all pulling for you!

51 minutes ago, indyspirits said:

These kind of complaints really boil my piss.  When people don't understand they fear -- the old NIMBY argument. Infuriating. Best of luck in addresses their (generally) baseless concerns. We're all pulling for you!

Thanks so much.  This is why I love the distillers and brewers of the world.  We all are in support of each other.

Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a microbe all over LOUISVILLE and has covered the town, it got national attention bc mainly there are massive distilleries right in the downtown area.  If I remember the article I saw, it was more geared towards the injustice of people affected than that it existed.  Where the distilleries like Heavens hill I believe are located, it's predominately low income and people felt voiceless when everything was covered in this black mold that grows in benches, cars, trees, etc.  

In Cognac, France, I saw the same thing.  It was all over the old cellar houses.  

The only reason I bring this up is that I've noticed in France they are very concerned about these kinds of things and I would imagine there is research out there for your case to be argued.  I understand it is black but doesn't have a health risk.  

Hopefully maybe a google search about remy Martin or Hennessy and the name of the mold may prove fruitful.