ADI Forums
flyhigher87

Pulsing Still

Hey guys hope all is well.

So I'm in the middle of a vodka run and my distillate is pulsing.  By this I mean, the distillate will completely stop for like 10-15 seconds and then all of a sudden open the flood gates for like 5 seconds.  This has only happened once before on a previous run.  Normally my still is pretty steady stream a little variation in flow rate but nothing this drastic.  My still is a small 50 gallon it has four plates and a large random packed section with copper scrubbers and raschig rings.  I am running a dephlag with little trickle of water through it to maintain 95% abv.  

So Why is my distillate flow rate so crazy today??

thank you.

Sounds like a back pressure issue. Did this just start ot has it always done that?

Does it only do it when you're running at 95%if you lower it to 90 do you still get the pulsation?

Might be useful to share a pic of the still.

Is the spirit outlet open to the air or submerged as in a parrot?

If open then it is possible for cold air to get sucked into the condenser if the still slows for a moment.

If the condenser is short the cold air gets into the still and cools the vapor in there causing a slight negative pressure which sucks more cold air in. Then as that air heats up it rushes out again, when the air has finished expanding the output stops for a moment and more cold air gets drawn in. Huffing.

If that is what is happening then a submerged outlet will stop it.

Google "Parrot Surge Breaker".  Most of the vendors here offer them. It will reduce/eliminate the backpressure/surge cycle. 

So I have a parrot but before the parrot it has holes on the side below the condenser, so it is essentially open to the air.  And @Silk City Distillers You may be spot on about the cold condenser water, I converted an old Air conditioner into our water chiller and the water will get down to almost 0 C, I'm going to install a temp probe and controller soon, but I'll be sure to watch the condenser water temperature.

Thanks for the replies guys

So I’m not sure anyone is following this or cares. But if you are and you do I fixed the problem. I was reading a home distillers forum and saw someone talking about boiling chips. So I threw in some ceramic rings and problem solved. So I guess the gas had no nucleation point and the liquid was super heating and then flash boiling. 

So this worked but I never in a million years would have thought that a still with an agitator would have needed boiling chips. 

Anyone else need them in a commercial still?

• Thanks 1

I get this a little bit when I’m running to much heat to the kettle and also real cold water to the condenser.  

who made your still. Do they have any recommended fixes?

Sorry i posted my last comment before i saw your response.   Boiling chips.. Hm i agree never would have thought about needing them.  Are you thinking that it was boiling then stoping then boiling then stoping?  Causing the pulsing?