ADI Forums

Anyone care to share their pros and cons of using flakes versus real potatoes?  Everything that I read states that potatoes are made up of so much water, that the flakes are the way to go.  Being in Alaska, I also feel that storage and consistency is important.  I would love to keep it Alaskan potatoes but unless some farmer starts offering flakes up here, it really just isn't feasible.  Anyone have good recommendations for Potato Flake manufacturers?  I would also like to use more Glacier Water and if the flakes are dried, then it give us the opportunity of using more of the glacier water.

I recall reading somewhere a starch spud is about 20% starch and much less (15%??) for eatin' spuds.  Based on those (potentially incorrect) figures just run some numbers to see if you'd be adding back more water to rehydrated the flakes.

It doesn't matter whether you use the genuine article or flakes as there is still going to be a lot of water involved. However, using your Alaskan spuds is a great marketing plus point. I am experienced in making potato vodka and I can tell you it is not simple, primarily due to the liquefaction issue. The spud is a hard taskmaster and every seven year old knows that potato and water together makes GLUE. If you need help putting together the right equipment and process for mashing and distilling a great potato vodka, I would be pleased to help you. 

Best, Gerard.  https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-evans-1b2b8a58/