ADI Forums
flyhigher87

Distributors marketing contribution$$

I'm killing myself for not thinking about this before I signed the contract. I asked my distributor how much he would contribute to our marketing budget(monetary).

They said $0 per forever.    So I'm not excited about that. 

Anyhow, do your distributors contribute to marketing?  If so how much? And in what ways?  I.e.  Pay for ads, buy coasters/stirrers Pos stuff. 

Please help I don't want to start a fight I shouldn't.

thanks

No. In fact, the other way around, expect us to share costs associated with their sales activities: split sample costs, pay for tables at industry events, provide swag.

A distributor distributes what sells.  You make, market and sell spirits.  If you don't think you should be the one marketing and selling, your distributor won't be distributing very much.

• reaction_title_1 1

Bluestar hit it right. When the time comes to push the sales of your spirits expect your distributor to come to you looking for money, to "help" make it happen

The distributor I've been in discussion with as I get close to having my first product ready has told me we'd go 50/50 on marketing materials (posters, signs, table tents, etc). Now that's not in writing so could change when paper hits pen but I'm still an optimist enough to believe they'll follow through on their word.

At the whiskey summit this weekend, someone really summed up what a distributer does: they take orders, warehouse product, and deliver product.  Salesmen or brand ambassadors are the ones who really do the work to drive the sales.  The best way is to have your own brand ambassador and let the distributer handle the delivery.