BLOOM in bottle???

SaltSpringShine

Hi just received two pallets of 375ml bottles, when we filled them we notices a foggy film on the inside of the bottles.  I have read the threads about bottle bloom, I have contacted the company and they are saying the bottles they have in stock don't do that.....???  I have filled 180 bottles (setting up the filler) and when a customer came in I pulled out a bottle to show/brag about it and it was all foggy....not good.  Should the bottle company replace or what?  Is the residue left in the bottle food grade?   Should I just bite the bullet and hand wash all the bottles?  Any advice would be greatly appretiated.  

I suppose the obvious question is: 'Who is the supplier?'

Have you tried to clean the bottles physically, (soap and water) and does that solve the problem? If so, I doubt the supplier will have much sympathy. On the other hand, if your physical effort fails, you probably have more of an argument.

I have an acquaintance who bought a C-Can of custom bottles from China. In the end over half of the bottles, either broke, had inconsistent neck widths or were inherently unstable. When the gentleman in question complained, the supplier just shrugged.

I've found few guarantees in this business - one certainly has to be self resourceful, that's for sure.

Why hasn't anyone asked the obvious?

1. Have you used any other bottles?
  2. Are you a brand new distillery? IE have you been filling bottles for years and suddenly this happened?
  3. New bottle supplier?
  4. Does this exact same liquid bloom your regular 750ml bottles?
  5. Have you checked the TDS and pH of your water/spirit?  What are you using for proofing water?

If you're 100% certain that the bottles themselves are defective, you may be able to reasonably return them if you purchased them via a business credit card. All vendors that use payment processors have to comply with the terms of refunds, exchanges and returns of that processor. If you're not getting any answers from the vendor you could call your credit card company and file a dispute for defective goods.

22 hours ago, MGL said:

Why hasn't anyone asked the obvious?

1. Have you used any other bottles?
  2. Are you a brand new distillery? IE have you been filling bottles for years and suddenly this happened?
  3. New bottle supplier?
  4. Does this exact same liquid bloom your regular 750ml bottles?
  5. Have you checked the TDS and pH of your water/spirit?  What are you using for proofing water?

1. Other bottles are fine when filled they are 750ml

2.  I have been open for a year now, filled many 750 ml bottles no problem

3. New Supplier for 375ml bottle they are the one we are having problems with.

4.  PH is 7.5    TDS is ok but I'm going to get it rechecked to make sure nothings goings on with the well.  I can put the same product (65%ABV moonshine) in the 750ml bottle and don't have the problem.  If the glass is clean why does P.H matter??

I am still speaking with the owner of the company they believe it's not bloom that it's some sort of reaction with our liquor?  But when the bottle is filled and then emptied you can cleary see a film on the inside of the bottle??  When washed and rinced the bottles are fine??  Can't wait anylonger going to bite the bullet and waist my time washing out bottles for the next few days.  Joy....  

15 hours ago, Hudson bay distillers said:

im curious if ur product is 65 percent it should burn ....dump a bottle and lite the empty bottle it should burn off the alcohol in the bottle does the film on the glass remain or is it gone 

tim 

No time I'm already behind about 2 weeks trying to figure this out.  Just going to wash them up and move forward.

Try a light solution of vinegar and water for cleaning.

The vendor should replace the bottles, or pay for your labor to clean them.

The only time a vendor would NOT be responsible for bloom in bottles if the bloom formed months after they were sent to you and it was due to the bottles being stored in a non-humidity controlled warehouse.

20 hours ago, Fusion Glassworks said:

Try a light solution of vinegar and water for cleaning.

The vendor should replace the bottles, or pay for your labor to clean them.

The only time a vendor would NOT be responsible for bloom in bottles if the bloom formed months after they were sent to you and it was due to the bottles being stored in a non-humidity controlled warehouse.

Thanks,  seems to  do the trick. Started washing and filling yesterday no issues once washed.  Vendor claims the bottles they have in warehouse don't do this?  Really like the shape of the bottle already had die's and labels made for them.  Just hoping the next batch doesn't have this issue.

Bloom is caused by repetitive condensation formation and evaporation on the inside of the bottles.  Generally this happens on a daily basis when the climate is cold at night and warm during the day and there is moisture in the air.   It usually takes 3-6 months of this happening before the white crystallization becomes apparent.  If bottles must be stored for longer than 3-6 months, then they should always be stored in a temperature or humidity controlled warehouse.  Generally either temperature or humidity control will work.  Both are not necessary.

• Thanks 2

• 10 months later...
On 11/5/2017 at 4:04 PM, Fusion Glassworks said:

Bloom is caused by repetitive condensation formation and evaporation on the inside of the bottles.  Generally this happens on a daily basis when the climate is cold at night and warm during the day and there is moisture in the air.   It usually takes 3-6 months of this happening before the white crystallization becomes apparent.  If bottles must be stored for longer than 3-6 months, then they should always be stored in a temperature or humidity controlled warehouse.  Generally either temperature or humidity control will work.  Both are not necessary.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:13 AM, SaltSpringShine said:

Hi just received two pallets of 375ml bottles, when we filled them we notices a foggy film on the inside of the bottles.  I have read the threads about bottle bloom, I have contacted the company and they are saying the bottles they have in stock don't do that.....???  I have filled 180 bottles (setting up the filler) and when a customer came in I pulled out a bottle to show/brag about it and it was all foggy....not good.  Should the bottle company replace or what?  Is the residue left in the bottle food grade?   Should I just bite the bullet and hand wash all the bottles?  Any advice would be greatly appretiated.  

Where you buy your glass from shouldn't have anything to do with bloom. I have seen bloom on our expensive glass from Europe and also on lower end glass from China. 

There is no guarantee as to when bloom will occur, and likewise there is no true “bloom-free” period for glass. Depending on conditions, and on the actual carbonate content of the glass, bloom can develop over a very short period of time or may not be visually noticeable for years. It is important to note, though, that under controlled storage conditions, glass used as soon as possible after manufacture is less prone to the appearance of bloom. It is always recommended to wash your bottles prior to filling but we know that most distilleries aren't setup to do this.