Collection Tank

John Bassett

How much are you talking about? We use a combination of 55 and 30 gallon SS drums (open top, lids with locking rings). Our bigger drums are equipped with wheels and we have all of our 30 gallon drums on movers dollies. Easy to get onto our floor scale for recording weights. 

2 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

The beer guys sell em 4 for $100 usually.

You must have been out of the homebrewing game for a while.  They're about $50 for a ball lock in good condition. I buy new ones for $100 each.  Notwithstanding, you're spot on in that they're great to collect spirits in and frankly even $100 is cheap in the grand scheme of things . Gotta make sure you replace the seals on lid and posts with silicone.  OK yes you can get them on craiglist for less than $50, but then you have to drive to the closest Holiday Inn parking lot to pick them up and then you gotta worry about getting shivved. ;-)

24 minutes ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Nah, cheaper coke style pin lock.

Ah yes. Those are cheap. No idea why pinlocks ever took off amongst the homebrewers.   

Totally unrelated: are you open Thanksgiving week? Heading out with the fam to watch the parade.  Appears our hotel (48th & 11th ave) is about 15 mins from your place.   

3 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

To tell you the truth, I can't understand why anyone would even care the difference between the two.

Only because it's a pain in the ass to maintain a mix of the two. I settled on ball-locks only because that's what I started with 20+ years ago.  You only bottle a few times before declaring, "To hell with this".  No damn clue why they seem to be more popular. 

Thats exactly what I did years ago! Of course I ended up with both styles of pin locks - but the adapters are readily available so I trade them out in the Kegorator.... 

The soda kegs are starting to become more rare so ive been told as most soda places have switched over to boxes for syrup. Most howbrew places (where most homebrewers shop) will still find them used - but about twice what they used to go for.

-S

6 hours ago, Scott.S said:

so ive been told as most soda places have switched over to boxes for syrup

Warning: Thread hijack. The issue is postmix vs. premix. Corny kegs held the mixed soda --- if you have ten 5 gallons kegs you had 50 gallons of soda. With the post-mix approach, the bag-in-a-box holds concentrated syrup which is "post-mixed" with carbonated water. Just a much more efficient means of serving soda.  (Hey, it's soda here in Indiana, or just "coke").  

On 11/6/2017 at 6:24 PM, Silk City Distillers said:

For small production it’s hard to beat corny kegs (soda kegs).

Sanitary, stainless, rugged, easy to move, very inexpensive.  The beer guys sell em 4 for $100 usually.

I just read about the corney kegs.  Seems like a reasonable solution for us.

11 hours ago, Tom Lenerz said:

https://www.amazon.com/Sansone/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_ki_web_9750930011?ie=UTF8&node=9750930011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Sansone

Many home winemaking shops sell them, they are pretty common in a wide array of sizes. I got some 75L because they are the largest I can get under our stills. Love them.

These are really cool.

On 11/9/2017 at 5:55 AM, Tom Lenerz said:

https://www.amazon.com/Sansone/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_ki_web_9750930011?ie=UTF8&node=9750930011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Sansone

Many home winemaking shops sell them, they are pretty common in a wide array of sizes. I got some 75L because they are the largest I can get under our stills. Love them.

These do look great! Thanks!

On 11/9/2017 at 6:33 AM, Silk City Distillers said:

In Jersey?  Gino Pinto down in Hammonton.  Much better pricing than online.

What about Corrados in Clifton? Have you had any experience there? Its alot closer to me - and you for that matter. Gino Pinto has nothing online so its harder to see what they have to choose from.

Thanks

Scott