ADI Forums
BigRed

Plastic vs Stainless tanks

I have been on a few tours lately and have noticed that more and more people are storing high proof spirits in plastic totes. I would have thought that high proof should only be stored in stainless. Is there any harm or contaminants that can be transferred to the spirit? Is there a specific type of plastic or proof that would be okay to use? 

If so, this would really help as we can try new products and keep in cheaper tanks than buying stainless. 

Thanks.

There are plastics that safely and neutrally contain spirits, MGP ships their 190 out in plastic totes. The supplier should know the specifics of suitable plastics. Plastic may be cheaper but I feel you can achieve a cleaner vessel with stainless. 

It is against OSHA regs to store high proof spirits in plastic totes...shipping across country in the back of a semi-trailer is just fine. 

Your tax dollars at work

23 minutes ago, Brian said:

It is against OSHA regs to store high proof spirits in plastic totes

Reference please?  

I am currently storing in 100% stainless, however, a plastic tote makes sense if it temporary. Say to move things around or store the low wine for a trial batch...etc. If there are any OSHA requirements I would be interested. Has anyone had any bad experiences with off flavors? 

We store in HDPE totes as well and have had OSHA in who never mention that this wasn't allowed.

Many of the worlds finest spirits are transported in poly totes.  Other than ISO tankers, totes are nearly the de facto standard for bulk spirits shipping.  Sure, you can find stainless totes too, but they are far less common, and unless you own your tote and are shipping it both ways, I’d be pretty weary of contaminants.  Dirty stainless is far worse than clean *appropriate* plastic, this goes for in-house tanks as well.

There are some good old threads on this, so do the search, the bigger risk is flavor transfer between what you store in the tote.

So shipping in plastic IBC's is just fine but the second you take them off the truck you may be stuck....also you must ground the SS IBC's.....if your OSHA inspector doesn't cite you don't beg them to cite you because they just might....also when moving them or wood barrels around your facility you "must" use a rated forklift....but I am sure no one will believe this either....maybe we could make a new Mad Max movie....ya know driving a tricked out flaming IBC through a rick house!!!

• reaction_title_1 1