ADI Forums
Al_The_Chemist

Ferment-able sugars in Molasses?

I'm prepping to start on a Rum. From my reading it seems that of the sugar content in Molasses only ~52% of it is fermentable.
How should I calculate the gravity of my wash? Should I divide the sugar contribution from the molasses in half or take it as is? 

Get an assay sheet from your supplier, don't make an assumption on the sugar content.  If you find yourself with a solid quality high-test, it could be as high as ~75% fermentable.  If you are using blackstrap from a really efficient refinery, as low as 40%, and who knows if you can even trust that number.  There is a big difference in fermentable sugars, and a big difference in price.  High test, bakers grade, fancy - you can trust your starting gravity to be mostly predictive of your yield, the bottom grades, you can't.

You can roughly work by weight of molasses (11.6 pounds per gallon) and sugars content.  1000lbs of 70% molasses is roughly equivalent to 700lbs sugar, go from there.

Don't be greedy and make your life miserable, shoot for low starting gravities in your first batches and move up from there.  

Lots of good threads on the topic.

Thanks for the thorough response Silk City. 

Im using a triple processed byproduct  through a third party. I doubt I can trust the data. I’ll have to run a test batch and see. I’m after a darker, full bodied Rum, so I far from mind the non fermentables and solids. More a matter of planning the batch. 

Ill do some more digging and find these threads. 

On 11/22/2017 at 7:55 PM, Silk City Distillers said:

Get an assay sheet from your supplier, don't make an assumption on the sugar content.

What @SilkCityDistllers said.  You can call your vendor and ask for a cut sheet. The figure you're looking for is "TSAI" -- total sugars as invert; this is the stuff that ferments.  Fancy stuff will be in the 70% range while the brooding / heavy flavors can be in the mid 40s.  "Triple processed" sounds like blackstrap. (they've crystialized and centrifuged three times??)

It's Blackstrap. I'll ping them about the TSAI. I'm currently blending grade A with Blackstrap in an attempt to get a usable yield combined with heavier flavors. Ran the starting calculations based on Grade A at 70% and Blackstrap at 45% (these ranges seem to be confirmed across the board). Final Brix will give me a better idea. Thanks again for all the information.