Pot Still Design (26 Gallon Setup)

Larry G

I am looking for some advice, I am looking to price out a still for a business plan for my master's degree.   I am beginning with a 26-gallon stainless milk can.   I am thinking that a copper whiskey helmet at the very least before the actual copper pot still tower.   Does anyone have any design suggestions or any info on sourcing the equipment?  I have to provide real numbers for the business plan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am not trying to be rude, but any business plan which has a 26 gallon still is doomed to fail.

I understand this is for a class, that said,  if you are going to make a business plan at least make a legitimate business plan.  A 26 gallon still will almost cost more in hourly wages to operate than it will produce.  If your business plan does not have about $200,000 in initial expenses, it's not a plan, it's a dream.

Paul's (Southern Highlander's) https://moonshine-still.co/

https://moonshine-still.co/products/26-gallon-moonshine-still-with-4-coppper-reflux-column-with-1-sight-glass

At 26 gallons it would be tough to get a "Whiskey Helmet" but some do exist. If you go to http://www.096stills.com/ and scroll down there's a couple examples. Looks pretty but on a still that small it's a tough business case except for marketing purposes. I don't believe it would change the character of the spirit that much over a taller and much less expensive copper column.  

@MGL  I am looking to start with equipment that the farmer already has on hand.   He purchased a 26 gallon distilling milk can and the plan is to start very small and give the farm a product they can sell at their farm stand to generate a little revenue.

@foreshot  Thanks for the info, I was thinking of the copper onion or helmet to increase the amount of copper surface area since he is working with apples primarily.

The plan is to gain some experience and see if there is interest in his product, so anything visually appealing that I can do to help generate interest should help, as you said it is probably more for marketing purposes.

I will continue looking, I have seen some products from Alibaba but I am not sure I want to risk buying from there.

Hi Larry,

i have a copper scotch style helmet that will fit your 26 gallon still.  We can also supply the line arm condenser and parrot.  email me paul@distillery-equipment.com or call 417-778-6100  It can be harder to reach me by phone as I am always on the phone during the day but if you leave a message with one of my office people I will get right back to you.

Paul