final product is cloudy

Naked Spirits Distillery

Hello all, 

I am new to this forum and distilling but looking for advice. I am in the process of bench trials for a spiced rum. I have experimented with different yeasts, spices, sugars, you name it. Coming out of the barrel I have a transparent beautiful colored rum, but when I proof it down it becomes cloudy. I have tried distilled water over city water, but it does not help. Flavor is great, but I cannot figure out why I am cloudy. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you guys, I appreciate the advice!

Foreshot, I watched your video. I am nowhere near the cloudiness of the video, I just have a haze. I will work both suggestions and let you know. Hudson Bay, while I like your 3rd option, that may not be the best when it comes to marketing, lol. Does it make a difference if I am using natural spices as opposed to concentrates? I am using all nature spices now. 

Before you mix in your spices try testing some of the white spirit to test for the presence of tails (eg does it cloud up when proofed down). If it doesn't cloud up there then you can focus on the spice mix. For natural spices vs concentrate I don't have that experience to be helpful. 

If you search the forums for haze or chill filtering you're apt to find something to help. It's a common issue. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slowly add your reducing water over several days and rack your spirit, this allows colloids to settle.  I've not tried adding clarifying agents but that might be worth exploring.  The other suggestions are also valid options. 

Yes, raw ingredients will definitely have more oils in them and are less easy to work with overall but they may also have a better flavor profile.  

If it becomes white sediment on the bottom its yer proof water is not pure enuf. If the haze never goes away or forms clumps in the bottle after a couple months its tails and you'll need to turn back your power, get a better still that can keep the tails from coming over, and or make your tails cut earlier.