ADI Forums
indyspirits

Poll: Do you clarify your molasses

Topic is self-evident. We use molasses around 70% TSAI and don't clarify. We're considering starting to clarify. I'd be interested in pros/cons.

We use a baking/cooking grade of blackstrap molasses and do not clarify.

9 hours ago, Florida Cracker said:

Blackstrap and I do clarify

Is the process to heat to 160 and let sit? Do you add any coagulating agents? How do you separate the good stuff from the bad stuff? (enquiring minds want to know!)

You should read Raphael Arroyo's patent for heavy rum production. He described in great detail the clarification process.

He also describes settling and siphoning. Adjustment of the pH causes the solids to precipitate. Then it could be separated. It would require a very strong pump or a vessel that could be tapped above the precipitate. I don't worry about the clarification because we use a high grade of molasses. 

Good luck

14 hours ago, indyspirits said:

Is the process to heat to 160 and let sit? Do you add any coagulating agents? How do you separate the good stuff from the bad stuff? (enquiring minds want to know!)

Indy, 

My process isn't very technical or difficult. I thin the molasses with the hot backset from the previous run, usually at a 50/50 ratio. Mix well and then put in a conical 55 gallon tank. I have added a spigot at the 2  gallon level that I use for taking off the "clarified" mixture. I only fill the tank to the 25 gallon mark for my runs but it could be totally filled. If filled all the way I would put the spigot at the 4 gallon mark minimum. I still get a little thick liquid at the spigot but most is pretty thin. The stuff I drain through the bottom drain is like a very thick milkshake. Although it probably isn't what most would consider clarified, it will remove most of the solids. I will let it sit for 2-3 days then rack off via the spigot.