ADI Forums
Moonshineminedistillery

Cane sugar

Greetings all,

Im looking for a source where I can buy drums or totes of crystal clear cane sugar liquid syrup for our liqueurs. Does anyone have a source as to where to buy or explain how I can make my own crystal clear sugar syrup limiting the tan color?

thanks in advance,

Mike

What brix are you looking for? Simple syrup like you make for your bar is 50% (ish) and it's trivial to make -- 1 unit sugar, 1 unit water. Perfectly clear.

Like Indy says, 1:1 ratio.

Don’t boil it, you are caramelizing the sugars.  Bring water to a simmer, take off heat, add sugar.  It will take a little longer to dissolve.  Give it an occasional stir.

Thanks for the reply’s..... yea 50/50 I did try it and just can’t get rid of the tan straw color, I found a few companies that sale low non colored cane sugar syrup maybe that’s the direction I’m looking for? It’s for my liqueurs and would like it to be colorless. 

Make it your self. Why buy a bunch of water.

Go to sam's club or costco, buy cane sugar, and mix it your self. We do tens of thousands of pounds all the time with never a problem.

Looking for help with my sugar wash, doing 100 gals-250 lbs sugar-200 gms distilax SR-380 gms DAP. only getting 13-15 ABV, when I distill get 140 proof at first, than drop to 40 proof than down to 20 proof, only getting 2-3 gals before it hits 20 proof, any thoughts, maybe a different yeast, thanks guys

34 minutes ago, jrfalcon said:

Looking for help with my sugar wash, doing 100 gals-250 lbs sugar-200 gms distilax SR-380 gms DAP. only getting 13-15 ABV, when I distill get 140 proof at first, than drop to 40 proof than down to 20 proof, only getting 2-3 gals before it hits 20 proof, any thoughts, maybe a different yeast, thanks guys

First off, cut the amount of sugar.  Try 200 lbs.  unless you are making fuel you will get a better tasting spirit with less sugar and possibly a better conversion.    What is you starting and ending gravity?  Ph at pitch?, ph at 24, 48 hrs?   

Whoa there killer!!  250 lbs of sugar in 100 gallons of water???  You're talking about an OG of 1.115 with potential alcohol of nearly 14%. If you could find a yeast (SR certainly isnt it) that can handle it.  For starters, back the sugar WAY down. Say... 150 lbs. And you need nutrients in addition to DAP. Maybe some mag sulphate, dead yeast hulls, somethign for cell wall health. I would consider dosing twice. Say once at first and then when 1/2 sugar gone  I havent looked at a brick of of SR in ages but that sounds like the right amount. Work on that ferment and then the distilling will fall into place. 

My thought is that if it has a slight color to it, it will not by the time it is added to the final product. Your not selling sugar water.