ADI Forums
jbdavenport1

Cooling Water set up feedback

Folks, 

Need feedback on my cooling water set up.  Due to cost,  I want to use a water reservoir for cooling the distillate. On a 250 gallon still with a deplegmator, would a 500 gallon tank of water with a radiator and fan work well? Or...what size water tank would you recommend?

Anyone doing same?

Thanks in advance.

Questions:

How many runs per day?

Are you going to cool mash with this as well?

Why not use the water from your condensers as free hot water?  Run it into storage tanks and use it for mashing in and cleaning.  

I guess we could add a diverter valve to send hot water to separate tank and use that for new mashes or cleaning. That's a good idea.

2 runs a day. won't do mash and runs on same days.

Re-using the hot water should work great for you.  A lot of my customers do it that way and it saves them a huge amount of money and or water over time.  It is a much better way than using a closed loop.  The larger the mass of water the longer it will retain the heat.

• Thanks 1

Thats how we do it. Cold liquor tank with glycol that is run through the condenser and heat exchanger and collected in a hot liquor tank with steam jacket. Cold water line has a bypass to street water just in case. We have 2 HLT so one can collect while the other is mashing-in and being used for wash down. We will eventually have solar panels to power glycol (and other electrical) and once city approves, we will go with bio-fuel for steam plant. 

I have a similar sized still and I'm getting a 1500 gal reservoir. It's overkill but I have the space and want to leave myself with extra room in case I get a second still, mash tun, etc. 

On the topic of using hot water from the condenser to mash... 

My water is hard so I'm putting in a softener to prevent my chiller and pipes from scaling up. Does anyone know if the sodium in my softened water would make this a bad idea for me? Is it enough to adversely affect yeast health? 

Does anyone have a diagram that would show how this setup works? I'm having a tough time visualizing this. Thanks!

9 hours ago, jbdavenport1 said:

On a 250 gallon still with a deplegmator, would a 500 gallon tank of water with a radiator and fan work well?

We have a similarly sized still and reservoir.  This time of year with the ambient temp in the distillery in the low 50s, we can probably swing 3 runs a week without running chillers.  Twice a day, probably not possible without more active cooling.  Dry cooler on the roof would be like magic with the ambient temperatures falling near 0F at night, but will be largely useless in the summer unless you are far, far north.

12 hours ago, jbdavenport1 said:

Folks, 

Need feedback on my cooling water set up.  Due to cost,  I want to use a water reservoir for cooling the distillate. On a 250 gallon still with a deplegmator, would a 500 gallon tank of water with a radiator and fan work well? Or...what size water tank would you recommend?

Anyone doing same?

Thanks in advance.

I run a 120 gal still with 550 gal of cooling water.  I can do a run every other day in winter, summer every 3 days.  Looking at adding cooling either a radiator/fan or chiller to be able to do more runs per week.  I would expect that 250 gal still would either need more reservoir volume or external cooling  

Thanks for all the feedback.I came across a video of a distillery that uses a simple car radiator with a fan attached to cool their water. They say their results are that they can get the water to stay around the ambient temperature for two runs a day. Of course, now that I want to share the video with you guys, I can't find it. But will keep looking.

We run a 500 gallon still with a dephlegmator and also a 1000 gallon cooker . We have a 2500 gallon water/glycol tank that we recirculate, but we also use a chiller/heat exchanger loop to rechill the water before it goes out to the still and cooker. The chiller is a must for us. We've tried a stripping run without using the chiller and by the time we finished, the holding tank/incoming water temperature was over 90F.  Without the chiller, it would be days before we could run the still again - much less cool our mash.