ACSA Convention

Huffy2k

Same as Thatch. I'm less than 10 minutes from the Convention Center & $600 is way too much just to check it out. 

For those that do come check out Butcher & Rye (Whiskey bar, walkable to convention center) and Hidden Harbor (Tiki bar, a little further out, Uber or Taxi it). If you have any questions on what to do in the city Huffy2k or I can answer those questions. Tons of stuff to do outside of the convention. 

• Thanks 1

Butcher and the Rye is a must stop while in Pittsburgh!  Pittsburgh has become a real food/drink mecca over the last few years, in downtown alone you can go to Proper Brick Oven, a real craft beer/spirits hot spot, the usual assortment of steak houses (Morton's, Ruth Chris, Red), Pork N Beans, Meat N Potato's, Tako, and more.  Also, if anyone has a car and feels like making a 30 minute drive south, we'd be happy to show ya'll around our distillery.

• Thanks 1

I've suggested to them to offer a vendor floor pass but it's difficult to segregate the floor pass holders from the full convention passes. Breakout sessions, breakfast, lunches etc included in the full convention pass so it would difficult to monitor attendance. $600 pretty much in line with other conventions no?

Haven't heard of any off-site gatherings other than the Monday night tasting event which will be open to guests as well as attendees.

10 hours ago, Huffy2k said:

$600 pretty much in line with other conventions no?

Nope, ADI has a $150 floor pass.  So, the vendors suffer because the organizers did not have the foresight to plan for a floor pass.  Very sad.  Many people attend trade shows with no other purpose other then talking to vendors.  Vendors do trade shows so they can see as many potential buyers as possible.  Not sure how the organizers have missed this point.  A colored bar on the badge (assuming paper) in a badge holder is the way the rest of the world does it.  Red for floor only, green for conferences.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:56 PM, indyspirits said:

$600 is bullshit  considering what you get for it (read: nothing new). Are there any "offsite" gatherings planned? I'd certainly come for that. 

100% agree with you. too bad i can't right now, but you're definitely right sir!

1 hour ago, Shilling said:

It costs a lot of money to put on a conference. What's missing that you'd like to see?

Is it not clear from comments in this topic?  I know how much you charge vendors and now attendees so I find it difficult to believe ACSA is losing money.

I was going to attend the show as a vendor until I saw that there was a $600.00 charge for attendees.  That is way to much.  I don't figure that there will be  many attendees at that price, so I wont be attending as a vendor.  If they get the attendee price down, I might reconsider for next year.

20 hours ago, indyspirits said:

Is it not clear from comments in this topic?  I know how much you charge vendors and now attendees so I find it difficult to believe ACSA is losing money.

The only thing that is clear is the desire for a trade show only pass, which is a really good question and one that I will ask about. Other than that, the only thing I'm getting is that the 600 is too much for not enough return. I'm hoping to be able to take some good solid feedback that I can share, so I guess my questions is this: Is 600 too high regardless of the content, or is it just not that right content for the price? And if that's the case, can I get some specific examples of what would make it worthwhile?  Incidentally, the booths for the trade show have been sold out for a while and there is significant waitlist.

47 minutes ago, Shilling said:

The only thing that is clear is the desire for a trade show only pass, which is a really good question and one that I will ask about. Other than that, the only thing I'm getting is that the 600 is too much for not enough return. I'm hoping to be able to take some good solid feedback that I can share, so I guess my questions is this: Is 600 too high regardless of the content, or is it just not that right content for the price? And if that's the case, can I get some specific examples of what would make it worthwhile?  Incidentally, the booths for the trade show have been sold out for a while and there is significant waitlist.

I will be attending, this will be my 3rd ACSA Convention. I've found them worth the price. Like others mentioned, a tradeshow only pass might be a good option. A lot of conferences do the dinner as an separate ticket or offer a 1 day pass for those who want to attend just one or two of the seminars and the tradeshow.  

We usually try to attend both conferences.  While there is overlap in the content between the two, each organization has it's own focus in my opinion.  I'm much more interested in the breakout sessions than the vendor floor so the floor pass isn't really that meaningful to me but I can understand the appeal of that, especially to those in the planning for a new distillery or an upgrade to their existing operation.  The opportunity to meet and talk to your peers in this industry is hard to put a price on and each conference I've attended has had at least one or two breakout sessions that are worth the price of admission.

• Thumbs up 1