Carbon filters? Factory? Homemade?

HottyToddy77

Below are our final drawings of the multi tube filter housing that Silk suggested.  We sizeed everything correctly for the volume that hottytoddy suggested.  i am working on the pricing now and I will post it shortly.  The pricing will include the explosion proof pump.  the pump will go on the suction side.

4 tube 4inch filter housing.jpg

4 spool 4 inch fliter set uup side veiw.jpg

8 hours ago, Southernhighlander said:

Below are our final drawings

I'm thoroughly intrigued. Curious as to your decision to "pull" the spirit through the filter rather than "push" it.   

We do a lot of testing here with all kinds of different equipment.  I use both engineering and tinkering when developing equipment.  I engineer to the best of my ability and then I start testing lots of different variations (tinkering) to see what works best and to see if I can come up with new ideas. Thomas Edison only had a 7th grade education.  Edison was a tinkerer.  The Wright brothers were both high school drop outs and they were tinkerers as well.     One of the reasons that  Edison and Tesla worked so well together (in the beginning but not later on) was because one was a tinkerer and the other was an engineer.  The Wright brothers were not programed with preconceived notions about what would and would not work so they prevailed, when the engineers and PHDs of their day, for the most part, failed miserably.  Don't get me wrong, a good education is needed more than ever in today's world and today it is the engineers and PHDs that come up with the best new ideas, at least most of the time. When I am tinkering, I try not to have any preconceived notions and I always try to think outside the box.

Most people would not think it would make any difference whether it is pumped in or pumped out but I tested it both ways and we seemed to get  better results pulling the spirit through rather than pushing it through.  I don't know why but the results are what they are.  Now most people would never try it both ways but I always try all of the variations that I can think of when I am tinkering.  Also I looked for recommendations and I could not find any  one way or the other, but I did find that most carbon air filtration systems and water filtration systems use suction and I figure there must be a reason for that.  So with all of that being said, my recommendation is that the spirit be sucked through the filter rather than pushed, however you can certainly do it anyway that you like.

Okay, I have the pricing for this puppy.  The pricing for all of the sanitary components except the rack is $1,094.41.  The g70 C explosion proof ethanol pump is $378.00 which is a lower price than TCW has on the same pump.   Our 4" x 36" sanitary tri clamp spools are listed at $78.20 each while glacier tanks sells the exact same spool for $105.00 each.  Our sanitary parts pricing is less than our competitors for several different reasons.  For example all of my over 14,000 square ft of warehouse and shop space is paid for and my property taxes are less than $200.00 per year.  Also I have it worked out so that I get free shipping on all of my parts, so I pay the same as Glacier for the parts but I do not pay any shipping on them.  Also the cost of living here is much lower than Washington State, so my payroll and and many other costs are less here in the Ozarks.  Also, I own 5 businesses including another very successful equipment business (different industry), so I do not take much profit from ADE.   The stainless rack for this is more expensive than it should be because it would need to be fabricated here  from scratch.  The price for the stainless rack is $1,290.00  That price is based on the price of the tubing, clamps and labor costs for fabricating, sanitary welding and polishing at $65.00 per hour.  If we standardize this design and I have the rack built at my factory in China then the rack would cost around $850.00  The quality will be excellent either way.  Anyway the total for this set up,  including the pump and everything would be $2,762.41  I can certainly build a single tube filter housing of the same capacity for a much lower cost.

Here are 2 examples of our current single tube carbon filter housing prices. 3"x36" with screens, gaskets, adapters with  1" npt connections = $97.00 

12"x48" filter housing with screens gaskets and adapters = $1,285.00  This last one will filter 70 gallons per hour.   We can build wall mount or free standing racks for these as well.