Jump to content
Lorenzo

Barrel Filling Cane

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I have been searching for a stainless barrel filling cane that can be connected to an air pump to fill barrels, only finding the fuel type fillers with small pump mounted on top of cane. What most distillers using...?

lorenzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use a stainless 1.5” butterfly valve followed by a 90 and lastly a long hose barb. If you’re pipe is smaller you might need a spool instead of a hose barb.

Fyi 53 gallon barrels take around 400lbs so we put our barrels on a scale and watch the scale to know it is almost full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lorenzo,

 

We have what you need, but they are not listed on our web site yet.  Email me paul@distillery-equipment.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2018 at 11:53 AM, Southernhighlander said:

Lorenzo,

 

We have what you need, but they are not listed on our web site yet.  Email me paul@distillery-equipment.com

Can you PM me what your solution is? I may be interested. I’m looking for a flow meter to use while barrel filling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StonesRyan said:

I’m looking for a flow meter to use while barrel filling. 

For what purpose?  For gauging, TTB would require an accurate mass flowmeter like a high-precision coriolis flow meter, which would be ballpark around $5-10k.

Accurate mass flow meter. A mass flow meter for making volume determinations of bulk distilled spirits. A mass flow meter used for tax determination of bulk spirits must be certified by the manufacturer of the meter or other qualified person as accurate within a tolerance of plus or minus 0.1 percent. A mass flow meter used for all other required volume determinations of bulk spirits must be certified by the manufacturer of the meter or other qualified person as accurate within a tolerance of plus or minus 0.5 percent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

For what purpose?  For gauging, TTB would require an accurate mass flowmeter like a high-precision coriolis flow meter, which would be ballpark around $5-10k.

Accurate mass flow meter. A mass flow meter for making volume determinations of bulk distilled spirits. A mass flow meter used for tax determination of bulk spirits must be certified by the manufacturer of the meter or other qualified person as accurate within a tolerance of plus or minus 0.1 percent. A mass flow meter used for all other required volume determinations of bulk spirits must be certified by the manufacturer of the meter or other qualified person as accurate within a tolerance of plus or minus 0.5 percent. 

Any other suggestions for gauging while barrel filling? I have a proofing tank on a floor scale but no way to lift full barrels onto the rack (no forklift) if I do it that way. I’m thinking I may have to bite the bullet on a suitable flow meter unless anyone has another suggestion. It’s still cheaper, and takes up far less floorspace, than a forklift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you looked into a portable gantry crane?  You could use it to lift barrels off the floor scale after weighing and then onto your racks?  A quick Google turned this up:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/hoists-cranes/cranes-portable-trailer/folding-floor-crane-with-telescopic-boom-4000-lb-capacity?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsmqhOL72QIVAVgNCh3vbQQhEAQYASABEgLiHfD_BwE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, StonesRyan said:

Any other suggestions for gauging while barrel filling? I have a proofing tank on a floor scale but no way to lift full barrels onto the rack (no forklift) if I do it that way. I’m thinking I may have to bite the bullet on a suitable flow meter unless anyone has another suggestion. It’s still cheaper, and takes up far less floorspace, than a forklift. 

We used to use a scaled pallet jack to do pairs of barrels on the rack. Now we have a flush with the floor, floor scale we use now. If that isn't an option you can usually find ramps for floor scales too, so you can pallet jack the barrels and rack up on to it. 

As Huffy2K suggests a gantry crane might be a good option, or an appropriately sized straddle stacker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×