Oregon Spirit Distillers

Vapor Prevention in 4 inch grain drop

I have an auger that drops into a 4 inch flexible tube to the mash tun.  Steam rises into the tube from the mash tun.

There must be a device that can prevent the steam from rising while still allowing the flour to drop.

Ideas?

Thank you,

Brad Irwin

Oregon Spirit Distillers

Is it possible for you to put the tube under the surface in the mash tun?  That way it could act as a dip tube and that might stop the steam from rising? 

Another way might be to have a one way flapper in a stainless tube.

we have a 3" tri-clamp fitting on our mash tun so we used a valve to stop the steam. we were using a butterfly valve but switched it out today for a  big stainless ball valve because it kept clogging. we open the valve right before the grain starts to fall and close it once done. 

• reaction_title_1 1

51 minutes ago, Southernhighlander said:

HottyToddy,

That sounds like a good common sense solution.

A flapper on the inside of the tank would possibly be nicer but the grain might cake on and prevent closing. 3" stainless ball valves aren't cheap. I found mine on Amazon.

The largest stainless sanitary ball valves that I have right now are 2".  I do have 3" and 4" ones on order but we will not have them in stock for several weeks.

Both great ideas.  The steam is rising during our grind in so the valve wont help.  We disconnect it when we are done grinding.    I will try to drop the entry point below the top of the mash tun to limit the "funneling" into grain path.

Thank you,

Brad

I'm not sure if this idea creates any other issues BUT here goes. If you were to introduce a small volume of compressed air a metre back from the outlet?  The amount of airflow wouldn't need to be very great to create the effect you are after. 

Stumpy - can you post a couple pics of the grist hydrator with the flap. We are having the same problem with steam drifting up into our auger drop. Tks 

We ended up inserting a conical reducer into the mash tun so that the grain drop is 3 inches below the roof of the mash tun.  We intended to at a flap on the bottom but there is no need.  Our grain drop is bone try.  cheap and easy.  Thank you all.

• reaction_title_1 1