Pulse-air for whiskey blending

spiritedPDX

We're having a bit of internal debate as to the benefits of using bump air to create large displacement bubbles in the spirit holding tank versus impeller blades.  The tanks are 4,000L and conical.  The theory is that the 'air' plate will thoroughly agitate any sediments are dense adjuncts (we also produce liqueurs, vodka, etc.).  The science is that you are not introducing more air than, say, blasting the spirit through a a pump at 40PSI to the filling machine.  Certain parties believe this method will deteriorate the whiskey so I'm calling on anyone with pros or cons to this method.  Otherwise we'll have a different problem with the impeller blades not circulating the liquid in the tank's bottom.  Thanks so much!  

Air bubbles rising through the spirit tank will absorb small amounts of the more volatile compounds in your whisky and drag them out into the atmosphere.

This is a bit like what happens when pouring a whisky then nosing it over quite a long period. For a young whisky especially, the initial nose can be quite spirity and offensive then it settles down as those more volatile compounds drift off.

Bubbling air or nitrogen through the spirit will speed up the removal of those highly volatile compounds. (Part of the ageing process in barrels is getting rid of those offensive volatiles as part of the "angels share")

Before I bottle most of my whiskies I tip the barrels into a vat and leave the lid off, sometimes for several days, until the harsh volatiles have drifted off. If it is taking too long then I will stir very vigorously, a similar effect to agitating with air bubbles. The alcohol concentration can drop by about 0.5% but the whisky tastes and noses much better.

Is there any chemical reaction with the introduced oxygen? I don't know, but it tastes better.

• Thanks 1