ADI Forums
whiskeytango

Glycol / cooling system

So I see a lot of talk about glycol / cooling systems to maintain their mash temps.  Presumably for cooling them down.  My question is what are people doing if they want to keep it warmer? Does a glycol unit have the ability to raise the temp as well?  Say up to 75 or 80 degrees for a rum wash? 

What are some common fermenting temperatures for 

Whiskey / Grain mash

Rum / Cane / Molasses 

Vodka / potato / Grain / Other? 

Whiskeytango,

I always have to preface everything I say on here that we are still under construction, I only have ethanol plant experience.  I am not aware of a chiller that will warm up a fermenter.  When I had issues with a fermenter turning "cold" at the ethanol plant I would use the plate and frame heat exchanger to warm the ferm back up.  I would valve off the cooling water and plumb a condensate return line from our boiler into the cold water side of the exchanger.  I called this technique "reverse heat exchange", until it was pointed out that I was still exchanging heat, I had only reversed the hot and cold side.  We then referred to the technique as ferm warming.....reverse heat exchange sounds a lot better to me....

Adam

Drop in a few stainless aquarium heaters.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:21 AM, indyspirits said:

Drop in a few stainless aquarium heaters.

How large of a mash are you heating this way?

"heating" is a stretch. We have 2500 liter fermenters. It maintains heat to about 85 degrees  when ambient is in the low 70s.  It's just shy of 3000 BTUs / hour.