rumfest 2010 results

thanks for the link.

So out of all the entries, only 3 received no medal. That's like the bowling competition when I was a kid, where everyone was guaranteed a trophy. I didn't discover until years later that I had not actually "won" that trophy on my shelf. I still kept it up there.

I'm going to assume that no medal means completely unpalatable, a bronze medal means tolerable, a silver medal means OK, a gold medal means good stuff, and the winner is great.

Do all spirits competitions give out awards to almost every entry?

This is an amazing thread. For those of you who don't know (like the "Advanced Member who just slammed the Rumfest contest), Dori Bryant is a tremendous resource and works diligently to put on great tasting and "fests". She runs RumFest. Really classy of the this member to ask for Rumfest results then trash the contest when the contest organizer answers his question.

Anyway, the judges in Dori's "fest" panels are fair and very experienced. Dori is a person working to build awareness of artisan products and an asset to this forum and industry. We've competed in her contests and we believe our products were judged fairly and competently. Dori, I hope you continue to help our little industry. We need more people like you here and less of the "Advanced Member" who slammed your contest.

I know for a fact that the guy who panned your contest does not even own a distillery and has never made a commercial spirits product in his life, let alone competed in judged spirits contest. Please continue your good work and promotions of artisan vodkas, rums, and other spirits. We need people like you building interest in artisan products. Not all of our small industry's products are world class yet but those of us who do own distilleries work hard every day to make our products better and your contests help!

I know for a fact that the guy who panned your contest does not even own a distillery and has never made a commercial spirits product in his life, let alone competed in judged spirits contest. Please continue your good work and promotions of artisan vodkas, rums, and other spirits. We need people like you building interest in artisan products. Not all of our small industry's products are world class yet but those of us who do own distilleries work hard every day to make our products better and your contests help!

Looks like someone won a bronze medal. Congratulations, and perhaps you should get another detective, your current one doesn't seem so accurate. Methinks I know who this is anyway.

With a question like "Do all competitions give out awards to almost every entry?", it's quite obvious I have not entered any competitions. It is a valid question. To the vast majority of people, a bronze medal would mean 3rd best, a silver 2nd best, and a gold, the best. When several medals of each are awarded, clearly that is not the case. When 42 rums are entered and 39 receive medals, it seems more a celebration of the entrants than a tasting competition. I see nothing wrong with that, I was curious if all competitions were similar.