Agitate or not to agitate

adamOVD

Been making a couple different types of rums lately. I 've been doing it on the molasses in a single pass though plates. Since it is a jacketed still, and there are no solids, I can run with or without the agitator running. With agitation helps to stop the surging, which one of my rums struggles with (I think because of the type of yeast). Without seems to make my hearts cut smaller and my heads cut larger, but I haven't played around enough to be certain. Any advise on when you do or don't agitate? Thanks.

I've found agitation to be really helpful. Along with an anti-foam it will prevent surging. I also found it to reduce heat up time and reduce scorching. Maybe it wasn't a "scorch", but when we didn't agitate, some type of very tough to clean buildup would accumulate in the bottom of our pot. Everyone's setups and results are different, but I've found agitation to be a no-brainer whenever running still.

6 hours ago, kleclerc77 said:

I also found it to reduce heat up time and reduce scorching. Maybe it wasn't a "scorch", but when we didn't agitate, some type of very tough to clean buildup would accumulate in the bottom of our pot.

Ran one rum run with the agitator off and I thought it came across a little bit more bitter than usual.  Figured it was a little bit of scorch.  Since then I don’t run without it.  

Thanks for the feedback. When I have run without the agitator, I do run the agitator until the plates begin to stack, then turn it off. Then very carefully turn it back on when I hit tails, as it wants to send a surging flood of spirits through the column when turned on.

6 hours ago, highwood28 said:

What are you using for an anti-foam agent? 

9 hours ago, kleclerc77 said:

We use patcote 376.  Normally not needed for rum be we have substantial headspace in our kettle. ALways needed for single malt.