Water Softener

indyspirits

We've outstripped (pun fully intended) the capacity of our water softener. Looking for a twin alternating system max 50 GPM.  Any recommendations (or horror stories)?

• 2 months later...

Plenty of experience... Its what we do for a living.  You're probably looking at two 24" x 41" tanks with 1.5" ports (or larger), with each tank holding 5 cuft of softening resin or more, along with an 18" or 21" diameter brine tank of course.  

7 hours ago, Buckeye Hydro said:

What valve is on that twin? 

Pentair?  I was complete mistaken on flow rate as we're using the water only for our RO system and boiler feed water.

Ah-ha.  $1700 for a twin 50 gpm softener... I just couldn't see that happening.

Pentair owns both Fleck and Autotrol - two common backwashing valves.  My guess is you bought a softener with a Fleck valve as they are more common.  Probably two 13" x 65" tanks, each with 3 cu ft of softening resin in them.  

If you need a manual for your system we can get you that.

Russ

That's exactly what we bought! 3 bags of resin / column (why aren't the columns full of resin).  It is a Fleck valve.  Thanks for the manual offer. It came with a valve and programmer manual and the Google led me to PDF versions.  

When the filter backwashes and recharges, it sends flow downward through the central riser tube, into the bottom of the tank and the resin - it then flows through the resin, fluidizing and expanding the resin bed.  That is the purpose of that unfilled "freeboard" in the top ~third of the tank.