ADI Forums
Cincinnati Distiller

Condensation Inside Spirit Bottles

I've seen this topic pop up a few times, but I would like to address it again.

I am noticing condensation in our spirit bottles, specifically Gin, that are cut to 80 proof.  I don't notice it in commercial bottles on the shelf, although my last trip to the liquor store, it seemed that a lot of smaller local distilleries also had the same condensation issue.

Looking for any help on solving this.

Cincinnati Distiller

I've been told this is because of insufficient rinsing of bottles and they should be rinsed with a portion of what they are being bottled with.

I've never seen a chemical description of what is happening, like what exactly is condensing.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:45 AM, Cincinnati Distiller said:

I've seen this topic pop up a few times, but I would like to address it again.

I am noticing condensation in our spirit bottles, specifically Gin, that are cut to 80 proof.  I don't notice it in commercial bottles on the shelf, although my last trip to the liquor store, it seemed that a lot of smaller local distilleries also had the same condensation issue.

Looking for any help on solving this.

Cincinnati Distiller

This is one of those 'defects' that distillers notice but the market doesn't give a flying f about, so nobody figures out what is going on. If I were to guess I would bet that it's higher weight oils that have significant enough partial pressure to get into vapor phase but upon condensing stick to the interior of the neck until disturbed due to their viscosity. Just a guess.

Also consider, now that it's summer, someone with a bottle in a hot car, bringing it inside, will see reverse-condensation on the bottle neck due to the glass cooling before the liquid.  Or, a warm delivery truck, and a cool store, where a bottle might be sitting undisturbed on a shelf.