International Shipping

Has anyone shipped spirits internationally? I understand laws and regs vary by recipient country/region, that's not the issue...I'm more wondering how you actually shipped?

Quotes from UPS and FedEX came it at $450 and $350, respectively, for a box of 3 bottles to Japan. 

Now I have inquiries from Australia, and I'm imagining its similar. 

Have you shipped international before? Where did you ship to, who did you use, and what was the cost? 

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...

Sounds about right. 

For me that ships between New York And Santiago, Chile the cheapest option is to "slow boat", sea freight. 2 months, $25 per square foot, but this company only ships between New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Miami and Santiago Chile. 

You could ask around locally to where you are shipping if they know of similar services.

Also, some airlines will ship packages on regular passenger flights. 

Good luck

3 hours ago, LaChascona said:

Sounds about right. 

For me that ships between New York And Santiago, Chile the cheapest option is to "slow boat", sea freight. 2 months, $25 per square foot, but this company only ships between New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Miami and Santiago Chile. 

You could ask around locally to where you are shipping if they know of similar services.

Also, some airlines will ship packages on regular passenger flights. 

Good luck

Thanks for your feedback. We ended up having the client research domestic import/exporters to Japan. They found much more reasonable options via their own research. Places I'd probably never have found, even with my Ph.D in "googling #@&% up" .....obscure locations that were legit. Place in L.A. shipped a case for $350 (2day air) but we had to ship FedEx from VA to them to get it there, which added to the cost. Place in Northern VA shipped 3 cases for $550 all inclusive (also 2 day air). 

Long story short, the answer I think is in having the destination recipient research export shippers for themselves. When I called the shipper (located about 30 miles from me) to clarify details, they answered the phone in Japanese - so clearly not targeting locals as their primary client base, and as such, it explains why they weren't popping up front-and-center on my google results.