Seeking recommendations for Best Stills

H20ManD

I have read most of the threads on the forum related to stills and distilling equipment and all really helpful.

We are looking for a complete still system which can handle vodka, gin, rum and whiskey, what do people currently recommend based on quality of equipment, usage and customer service/support? Thank you.

2 hours ago, H20ManD said:

Distill ourselves from corn. Planned volume of around 30,000 bottles. 

Not to be skeptical, but that's a lot of volume for starting out.  With that type of volume I would expect a dedicated continuous column as its about 1200 gallons of wort a week.     It would probably pay for having a second still in energy savings alone.  

Head frames are wicked I highly recommend them. It is truly a complete continuous system. A lot of people in this country have columns to strip beer or batch hybrid columns. This is a true continuous column.

If you want to be really unique build a vacuum still.

If you're not familiar enough with the equipment to know what you want to buy for who to talk to, I think the best place to start is with Paul at affordable. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone, but you can get some equipment for a reasonable price to learn on (I recommend limiting the size of your errors with your batch size) and buy something nasty when you know more about your process

4 hours ago, HottyToddy77 said:

Vacuum stills are only useful in specific applications, such as rum made from  blackstrap molasses

Vacuum still are incredibly useful in any application where one would want to protect flavor compounds adversely affected by heat. While not the most practical for the every day run of the mill weekly stripping run in a whiskey centered distillery, I bet if you knew how to use one creatively it would make your own operations better, more unique, and more versatile. 

Broad reductionary statements are ridiculous. Most would be better off making a habit of using them less.

• Thumbs up 2

21 hours ago, SlickFloss said:

Head frames are wicked I highly recommend them. It is truly a complete continuous system. A lot of people in this country have columns to strip beer or batch hybrid columns. This is a true continuous column.

If you want to be really unique build a vacuum still.

If you're not familiar enough with the equipment to know what you want to buy for who to talk to, I think the best place to start is with Paul at affordable. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone, but you can get some equipment for a reasonable price to learn on (I recommend limiting the size of your errors with your batch size) and buy something nasty when you know more about your process

Thanks!  We think so too.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:46 PM, SlickFloss said:

Vacuum still are incredibly useful in any application where one would want to protect flavor compounds adversely affected by heat. While not the most practical for the every day run of the mill weekly stripping run in a whiskey centered distillery, I bet if you knew how to use one creatively it would make your own operations better, more unique, and more versatile. 

Broad reductionary statements are ridiculous. Most would be better off making a habit of using them less.

yes but heat often brings out desirable flavors. So it would definitely be different or unique.