Is it possible to get a permit for a festival site distillery ?

I'm thinking about organizing a festival sometime in the ( hopefully not so distant ) future that would feature an on grounds still , that would be used to distill the already fermented batches of whatever liquor attendees would choose to bring to the festival grounds .

Is it possible to do such a thing legally speaking ? Also has anyone here done something like this and/or heard of it being done ?

State by State issue.

It is possible in some States, to have an off site tasting set up. In Arkansas a DSP Permit holder must notify the State ABC 14 days prior of intention to do this.

Its not just a state by state issue.  To actually distill you would need a federal permit in addition to whatever the state would require.

Shot answer is no, its not possible to do such a thing legally speaking.

In Canada, the right to own a distillery is tied to the address of the aforementioned distillery. It would be strictly against the rules to set up a still elsewhere. Not to mention, distilling other people mashes/washes would be very problematic. This would not be allowed in our jurisdiction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, Silk City Distillers said:

It would be the most boring festival ever.

Distilling is not a spectator sport...

I must humbly disagree .  I mean personally I think it would be a real blast to host a music festival , where ( among other fun activities ) one could cook up their already fermented batch on site .

• 1 month later...

My job is to tell you how you can do something, not why you can't do it.  But sometimes, to borrow from Paul Simon, there must be 50 ways that TTB is going to say no to an idea.  From contrary to law, to danger to the revenue, to increased costs to the government, to administrative difficulties, to leases of a particular plot of land, to problems with class and type and prior approval of labels for spirit produced from fermented concoctions brought in that morning by interested parties, to construction requirements, to restrictions on where you can obtain distilling material, to ... oh god ...  the requirement that places where spirits are stored by equipped for locking, to the requirement that you case spirits when you bottle them, to ... the list, like the beat, goes on.  And as a person who knows squat about the art of distilling, I agree with with Silk City, watching a still is pretty damned dull after a minute or so, unless you are trying to learn how to make cuts.  And then the FDA is going to get involved, and, and, and ....  ?.