ADI Forums
Lionel Fauquier

Is it possible to get a permit for a festival site distillery ?

I'm thinking about organizing a festival sometime in the ( hopefully not so distant ) future that would feature an on grounds still , that would be used to distill the already fermented batches of whatever liquor attendees would choose to bring to the festival grounds .

Is it possible to do such a thing legally speaking ? Also has anyone here done something like this and/or heard of it being done ?

State by State issue.

It is possible in some States, to have an off site tasting set up. In Arkansas a DSP Permit holder must notify the State ABC 14 days prior of intention to do this.

Its not just a state by state issue.  To actually distill you would need a federal permit in addition to whatever the state would require.

Shot answer is no, its not possible to do such a thing legally speaking.

In Canada, the right to own a distillery is tied to the address of the aforementioned distillery. It would be strictly against the rules to set up a still elsewhere. Not to mention, distilling other people mashes/washes would be very problematic. This would not be allowed in our jurisdiction.

That's a bummer though .... 

I mean it would be real cool to have a festival like that IMHO .  Anyways thanks for the answers . 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, Silk City Distillers said:

It would be the most boring festival ever.

Distilling is not a spectator sport...

I must humbly disagree .  I mean personally I think it would be a real blast to host a music festival , where ( among other fun activities ) one could cook up their already fermented batch on site .