Equipment for testing obscuration

Does anyone have a recommendation for purchasing lab equipment for testing obscuration, particularly a glass condenser. We are on quite the shoestring budget, so going the $1000+ route isn't really an option. If you happen to know of a good way for testing for obscuration other than the distillation method (again, not overly expensive), please throw it out if you have it.

A basic question, but one I've never run into.

I understand what obscuration it, and how to get the figures, and why.

However, if we are producing clear or aged products which are filtered then there are no relevent solids to measure.

So, under what conditions do we folks need to be concerned with obscuration?

When they're making cordials....or anything containing a significant amount of added sugar.

I was thinking more of something with a high particulate concentration, but the sugar thing makes sense.

And that would explain why I hadn't run into that information, don't plan on cordials or anything with added sugar.

Thanks........

Subtract what from what? Then do what with the number?

That's the evaporation method, and it is:

(1) usable only in a very small range of obscuration,

(2) usable only in a very small range of proof, and

(3) requires a very good (expensive) laboratory balance.

If you have the equipment for a burn-off, it's usable for any measurement. it even works when the obscuration is so small that you don't need to consider it.

Where is this stuff? 27cfr30.32

Does anyone have a recommendation for purchasing lab equipment for testing obscuration, particularly a glass condenser. We are on quite the shoestring budget, so going the $1000+ route isn't really an option. If you happen to know of a good way for testing for obscuration other than the distillation method (again, not overly expensive), please throw it out if you have it.

I have written some software that allows you to predict obscuration and blend obscured alcohol. A read only version of the program is at my website: mountainmoonshine.com If you know what you put in and account for it accurately one does not have to then evaporate it to prove it. One can avoid the whole process or just pay a lab to do it once to confirm the program works as intenedd. Payton Fireman.