Sourcing Molasses

JBillyB

I've been in contact with multiple sources for bulk molasses, the best I've yet to find is golden barrel in Pa. 688.00 For 2000lb tote. I'll be picking up myself so there's no delivery charge. 

Just wondering what kinds of prices others are paying for blackstrap.

I know fancy is higher in sugars but blackstrap gives me the desired flavor profile I like so if anyone on the east coast has some resources they're willing to share, I'd gladly receive your response with much appreciation. 

James

International Molasses isn't distributing out of NJ anymore, meaning it's all coming out of Ohio now.  We were picking up in Garfield, NJ - but that's no longer an option as they've closed that location.  Golden Barrel is the next closest.  Depending on where you are, they do deliver on their own trucks so the freight charges are much lower than LTL.

8 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

International Molasses isn't distributing out of NJ anymore

Hmm. I'll be damned.  We pay $225 for delivery from Dayton to Indianapolis.  That's for a 3,100 lbs of fancy. 

On 7/3/2018 at 8:33 AM, Silk City Distillers said:

Freight is really the killer when it comes to blackstrap especially.

Wondered if there were enough of us in close proximity in the Northeast to roll a 9000 gallon tanker from Lu-west and split the costs.

Breaking apart a tanker of molasses doesn't sound like a very fun afternoon.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, SLCDBD said:

Breaking apart a tanker of molasses doesn't sound like a very fun afternoon.

Piece of cake actually. We order by the truck but pump it into totes when it arrives. We have cardboard with a hole cut in the center that sits on top of each tote to make cleanup easy. The hose from the truck is moved from tote to tote. We fill 16 - 17 totes on average from one truck but that can vary. 

As long as you have a forklift and the a vehicle to carry totes of molasses it really won't be that difficult. 

• Thumbs up 1