Lionel Fauquier

Is it worth using sugarcane in rum production ?

12 hours ago, HottyToddy77 said:

check out their rum

I find this really deceptive. Shame on TTB (but really no surprise) for letting them label it this way. 

From 27 CFR 5.22

(f) Class 6; rum. “Rum” is an alcoholic distillate from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses, or other sugar cane by-products, produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to rum, and bottled at not less than 80° proof; and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates.

1 hour ago, indyspirits said:

I find this really deceptive. Shame on TTB (but really no surprise) for letting them label it this way. 

From 27 CFR 5.22

(f) Class 6; rum. “Rum” is an alcoholic distillate from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses, or other sugar cane by-products, produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to rum, and bottled at not less than 80° proof; and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates.

yeah, I think some of the confusion comes in as many people do refer to sorghum cane syrup as molasses. I think most people, at least in the south, call grain sorghum, Milo. so terminology is a problem. I know the TTB catches a lot of flack but when you get someone on the phone they are generally knowledgeable.   

48 minutes ago, HottyToddy77 said:

I know the TTB catches a lot of flack but when you get someone on the phone they are generally knowledgeable.   

Complete agree!  Most of the back & forth time I've spent with them is regarding labels & formula.