Is it worth using sugarcane in rum production ?

Lionel Fauquier

12 hours ago, HottyToddy77 said:

check out their rum

I find this really deceptive. Shame on TTB (but really no surprise) for letting them label it this way. 

From 27 CFR 5.22

(f) Class 6; rum. “Rum” is an alcoholic distillate from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses, or other sugar cane by-products, produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to rum, and bottled at not less than 80° proof; and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates.

1 hour ago, indyspirits said:

I find this really deceptive. Shame on TTB (but really no surprise) for letting them label it this way. 

From 27 CFR 5.22

(f) Class 6; rum. “Rum” is an alcoholic distillate from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses, or other sugar cane by-products, produced at less than 190° proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to rum, and bottled at not less than 80° proof; and also includes mixtures solely of such distillates.

yeah, I think some of the confusion comes in as many people do refer to sorghum cane syrup as molasses. I think most people, at least in the south, call grain sorghum, Milo. so terminology is a problem. I know the TTB catches a lot of flack but when you get someone on the phone they are generally knowledgeable.   

48 minutes ago, HottyToddy77 said:

I know the TTB catches a lot of flack but when you get someone on the phone they are generally knowledgeable.   

Complete agree!  Most of the back & forth time I've spent with them is regarding labels & formula.  

• 2 months later...

you can buy fresh cane stalks that will be shipped in from overseas (typically) for you to juice on-site.  It's popular with the flannel/moustache/whole foods crowd.  In fairness, fresh cane juice is good.  Anyway, you'll need a mill and it's a mess (trust me, we do this every day from cane we grow).  You can buy sugar cane syrup on amazon, grown in the south.  

It wouldn't be rum, as mentioned, but fresh pressed sweet sorghum and sweet sorghum syrup both make really good spirits.  Had a blast doing some back at Barrel House in Lexington, ky several years ago.  

On 11/20/2018 at 10:14 AM, HottyToddy77 said:

yeah, I think some of the confusion comes in as many people do refer to sorghum cane syrup as molasses. I think most people, at least in the south, call grain sorghum, Milo. so terminology is a problem. I know the TTB catches a lot of flack but when you get someone on the phone they are generally knowledgeable.   

Actually we call the shorter sorghum grown for grain, Milo.  We call the taller variety of sorghum (12' tall or more) Sugar Cane.  At least it's that way in the Appalachians of Eastern Kentucky, Eastern TN as well as parts of VA and west VA.