Jump to content
ADI Forums
CalwiseSpirits

Precipitate in triple sec

Recommended Posts

I'm making a clear orange liqueur by distilling brandy with orange peel in my gin basket and then proofing down with a syrup I make from cane sugar and water. It comes out clear, but I notice a week later there is some precipitate or sediment in it. My best guess is it's the sugar coming out of solution since it's not soluble in alcohol, but I thought I was avoiding that by dissolving it in the water and making the syrup beforehand. Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can get it to entirely dissolve in a room temperature mixture of ethanol/water, it should be stable.  You'd need to go out of your way to create a heated supersaturated solution that would precipitate out when cooled.

Sounds like something else.

What kind of water are you using for proofing and to make your syrup?  Is it at least a good quality RO or RO/DI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

If you can get it to entirely dissolve in a room temperature mixture of ethanol/water, it should be stable.  You'd need to go out of your way to create a heated supersaturated solution that would precipitate out when cooled.

Sounds like something else.

What kind of water are you using for proofing and to make your syrup?  Is it at least a good quality RO or RO/DI?

Yep, I'm using an RO system from US Water Systems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CalwiseSpirits said:

Yep, I'm using an RO system from US Water Systems

Just to properly flog this dead horse... you've checked conductivity on the out side of the RO system?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, indyspirits said:

Just to properly flog this dead horse... you've checked conductivity on the out side of the RO system?

 

 

I have not. Has this already been discussed before in another thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CalwiseSpirits said:

I have not. Has this already been discussed before in another thread?

Maybe? Im a bit surprised USW didnt give you at least a cheapy TDS pen. You can get them on amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very unlikely it is sugar. Silly question, assume you are not using peel from consumer oranges that have protective waxes on them? While the oils from orange should not precipitate, coating materials might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 5:28 PM, indyspirits said:

Maybe? Im a bit surprised USW didnt give you at least a cheapy TDS pen. You can get them on amazon.

Just bought a TDS pen, going to check!

On 8/8/2018 at 1:23 PM, bluestar said:

Very unlikely it is sugar. Silly question, assume you are not using peel from consumer oranges that have protective waxes on them? While the oils from orange should not precipitate, coating materials might.

I've been getting the oranges from a food distributor. Looked at the box, and yes, they are coated with wax. I'm getting another batch of oranges direct from a grower without any coatings. I'm curious to see if that changes things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CalwiseSpirits said:

Just bought a TDS pen, going to check!

I've been getting the oranges from a food distributor. Looked at the box, and yes, they are coated with wax. I'm getting another batch of oranges direct from a grower without any coatings. I'm curious to see if that changes things!

You DEFINITELY don't want to use wax-coated oranges. And you can't really get the wax off, without also removing some of the oils you are looking to extract from the peel. I would not be surprised if this changes things for the better for you. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, bluestar said:

You DEFINITELY don't want to use wax-coated oranges. And you can't really get the wax off, without also removing some of the oils you are looking to extract from the peel. I would not be surprised if this changes things for the better for you. Good luck!

Update... according to my TDS pen my sink water is 635 ppm and my RO water is 265 ppm. This seems awfully high. I'm not sure if I believe it because the water tastes pretty darn neutral to me. My next step is to test it on distilled water to make sure the pen is working right.

However, I switched to oranges straight from the farm that are not wax coated. Haven't seen precipitate show up since. Maybe that was the trick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CalwiseSpirits said:

RO water is 265 ppm

Eeek! That's not good. Our is about 360 coming in (softened) and 3 out. Is your feed water softened? First I'd verify your TDS pen is working with some distilled water.  If it is, looks like you need to replace your membrane.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the plumbing and RO housing while you are at it.  That high of a TDS sometimes means untreated water is bypassing the membrane to the output.

Also - if you have a holding tank or final polish carbon filter - those could be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×