Grinding Juniper Berries

adamOVD

I don't grind the juniper cones because I would worry about too much astringent flavors being released. I tend to just macerate them for a few days. I notice after about 3 or 4 days they develop a slightly sweeter aroma and that's when I like to move the process along.

*DON'T* grind 'm, ever. Crushing can be done but the result won't be reproducable. You can save on juniper (at the expensive of having to wait 1 or more days) by macerating as Glenlyon suggested. I don't.

We crush using corona mill that we motorized with an el cheapo HF electric drill. It effectively "rolls and smooshes" them as you would if you pinched them between your fingers. Gap between plates is about 3/16"  Highly reproducible.  Astringency comes from the pip which never (that we've seen) is split / ground.  Here's a handful I just did.

IMG_20180820_145705.resized.jpg.b6d3104bb84c8813c335cc44d0b3c7e1.jpg

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...

About 3 months ago I was experimenting with getting more flavor out of my Juniper. I did a run (200 liters) with Juniper berries ground up with a food processor. Because I had never read anything about it, I had no idea and yes, I came out super astringent. 

I had an empty stainless barrel so I just put it in and sealed it up, thinking that I would do something with it later on. I realized the astringency after I had proofed it so it's been sitting in there sealed at 45% abv.

Reading this thread made me think of it.... Do you think its better to redistill it? or do you think that if I just leave it open, that astringency will dissipate and eventually go away? 

Also, someone mentioned somewhere about possible pesticides being the cause of astringency. If that was the case, which I doubt, but you never know.... Would you ever be able to distill that out safely? How could you know for sure?

Thanks in advance, if anyone has an opinion....

• 1 year later...

I've heard various definitions of maceration over the years, from "leave untouched and just soak" to "crush very lightly (e.g. to break the skin) and soak".

Which one do most of you veterans use?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've done many different ways.    Ground and macerated.  Whole and macerated.   Ground and in the column.  Whole and in the column. 

Honestly, I'm not sure it mattered a lot.   That said, I did find out from all the different types of run that I don't really like coriander.

23 hours ago, LuckyGuy said:

I've done many different ways.    Ground and macerated.  Whole and macerated.   Ground and in the column.  Whole and in the column. 

Honestly, I'm not sure it mattered a lot.   That said, I did find out from all the different types of run that I don't really like coriander.

Have you tried Indian Coriander?

• 3 weeks later...

We used to gently split the juniper berries as to not disrupt the kernel. We got more of the piney, resinous flavour by doing this, but the mill would start to gum up when splitting larger quantities which would give inconsistent amounts of splitting/grinding so we no longer do this.