Dealing with vindictive neighbors...

Glenlyon

We been open for a while now and all seem to be going well - most of the people who were opposed to our original re-zoning efforts have come around - some have even become customers. However, one of our neighbors has never accepted defeat and has taken to playing loud rap music at full volume during our opening hours. Our customers are openly irritated by the racket and have been commenting on it. We're only open a few days a week and our customers are well off older folk who are very respectful of our environment. We run a tight and very quiet ship. We don't even have music in our tasting room because our customers prefer that. I've tried being nice and accommodating - that's got me nowhere. I'm trying very hard not to blow a fuse. I would be very interested in hearing some ideas on how to gracefully deal with this guy that won't cause even greater problems.

1 hour ago, Hudson bay distillers said:

give him a bottle of free foreshots . tell him its special very powerful stuff . 

tim 

i hope yer kidding. Thats basically saying give someone a bottle of poison.

Bottom line: If he' not breaking a law / sound ordinance there's really nothing you can do other than to have a talk with him/her and try to work out any differences which will be difficult since they were against the rezoning.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, JustAndy said:

I would just try to ride things out longer, he's obviously trying to provoke a reaction and in absence of one will either get tired and move on or will escalate to something that gets him in trouble.

Yes, this is basically my current strategy. Although, late at night my mind is prone to wander...

• Thumbs up 1

On 8/25/2018 at 12:10 AM, Glenlyon said:

We been open for a while now and all seem to be going well - most of the people who were opposed to our original re-zoning efforts have come around - some have even become customers. However, one of our neighbors has never accepted defeat and has taken to playing loud rap music at full volume during our opening hours. Our customers are openly irritated by the racket and have been commenting on it. We're only open a few days a week and our customers are well off older folk who are very respectful of our environment. We run a tight and very quiet ship. We don't even have music in our tasting room because our customers prefer that. I've tried being nice and accommodating - that's got me nowhere. I'm trying very hard not to blow a fuse. I would be very interested in hearing some ideas on how to gracefully deal with this guy that won't cause even greater problems.

I dont know what type of jurisdiction your distillery lives in, but is there no noise ordinance?

2 hours ago, Glenlyon said:

Yes there is and eventually I may have to use it

If there is, and they are violating that ordinance, then by all means report them ASAP.  You want to make you current customers as satisfied as possible. 

It was raining today and all was quiet. The day was slow but steady. Had some amazing people come through. You just never know who is going to walk through the doors. One guy was the beverage manager at a local high end restaurant and now we're his featured local libation for the new few weeks. You're right, don't let anything negative come between you and the customer. I will keep that in mind, next the problem arises.