Steam Heating a Hoga Still

Spirited

Hi folks

We've been looking at the heating options for a 400 litre Hoga still and are favouring the internal steam heated coil option. As far as steam generation goes, Fulton seem to have some good kit which is being used by a couple of other UK distillers in similar setups. However in the literature from Hoga, there is a suggestion that a 12KW sauna heater would work. At a third the price it looks like an option but I do have concerns over durability. Is anyone out there using a sauna or "non conventional" method of generating steam? If so what has been your experience.

Thanks in advance

Ben

I've seen those units, always wondered if they would be suitable for steam injection mashing.

However, couple downsides for still heating. Many of the sauna/steam room units are not intended to operate under pressure, which means that your steam temperature will be much lower than if you could run a few psi. Second, there is no option for condensate return, which means they will not only waste energy, but water as well.

I suspect they may be talking about a different thing all together, which is a small electrically heated steam boiler, these are sometimes used in small commercial saunas, like you would find in a spa or health club. These units are honest boilers. There are a number of good electric steam boiler manufacturers, Sussman, Chromalox, etc. Fulton does electric as well.

12kw seems a bit on the small side for 300 liters volume, fine to run, but slow to heat.

We had a 12kw steam unit from pacific steam that operated continuously up to 150psi that we found on eBay for $800 and it was perfect for our 400 liter Hoga. Heated in an hour and run for 3 hours. Be certain to get the agitator. We don't use it anymore because we outgrew the Hoga and moved on to an Artisan Still Designs unit.

We had a 12kw steam unit from pacific steam that operated continuously up to 150psi that we found on eBay for $800 and it was perfect for our 400 liter Hoga. Heated in an hour and run for 3 hours. Be certain to get the agitator. We don't use it anymore because we outgrew the Hoga and moved on to an Artisan Still Designs unit.

Cheers Krisitian, very useful feedback. I saw the agitator option. If we are using this for gin production is the inclusion of an agitator going to help in ensuring there's a constant movement of botanicals and 50% spirit around the coils or does it serve an additional purpose?

I've seen those units, always wondered if they would be suitable for steam injection mashing.

However, couple downsides for still heating. Many of the sauna/steam room units are not intended to operate under pressure, which means that your steam temperature will be much lower than if you could run a few psi. Second, there is no option for condensate return, which means they will not only waste energy, but water as well.

I suspect they may be talking about a different thing all together, which is a small electrically heated steam boiler, these are sometimes used in small commercial saunas, like you would find in a spa or health club. These units are honest boilers. There are a number of good electric steam boiler manufacturers, Sussman, Chromalox, etc. Fulton does electric as well.

12kw seems a bit on the small side for 300 liters volume, fine to run, but slow to heat.

Thank you and yes, very valid point about the lack of condensate return. We want to be saving energy and water as much as possible.

I've spoken to the guys at Fulton, will check out the other mfrs you've mentioned.

• 2 months later...

Yes, 150 PSI no bueno! I am sure a "." was left out. I spoke to a distiller with a HOGA in the Scotland who mentioned pressure testing the coil to 5 Bar and was running at 2. He did not use agitation so needed the higher temperature differential offered by higher pressure steam. Without doing the engineering my guess is that the better heat transfer coefficient of an agitated solution would make up for the difference in temperature and 1 bar (15 PSI Gauge) would finish a run in the times Chris stated.