Rye

thedrayman

Got a bag of flaked rye...... Mashed it with some malt and 2 hrs later got a 5 Plato ....... Brought temp back up to 152 and added some amylase... Gravity went up to 14 2 hours later... So I decide to let it sit over night .. 152. Down to 120 overnight and it rang in at 17.5 but it stinks bad.... So I toss the yeast anyways and it fermenting and it stinks if you lift the lid but the garage smells sweet..... Never made a sour mash or even smelled one but man...... I think I hit the sour jackpot......so now what? I've benn a professional brewer for 18 years an never smelled a mash like this.... Does rye normally stink?....lol

Chris L. , to follow up, and this is an elementary look, "flaked" is like your breakfast food flakes. Leave your wheaties out and raise temp, they will aquire distinction also. You got what you were looking for. Were you at the NE Food Show?

I've not done rye before, but I have had a corn and barley mashes go off on me, usually an infection from wild yeast or bacteria from the air.

typically by pitching a strong yeast strain in large enough quantities it'll ferment out all right, and there have even been times where the "stink" made a positive contribution to the final spirit.