What still did you start with?

DenverDistiller

We are looking for the most economical way to get started and have a still capable of producing a good product.

Our initial plan is to distill whiskey and vodka, and we are planning on a 100 gallon dragon still with a 6 inch column (4 plates).

I'm curious what still any of you started with and if you could go back if you would choose something different. I am slightly concerned about quality of product, but we really can't afford more than 20k on a still.

Thanks,

For the permit I had a six gallon still. Then a 38 gallon after permit. Then a 150 gallon stripper to feed the 38 gallon. I am installing a 500 gallon stripper right now to feed a 60 gallon. I always double distill, it was the way I learned. I have not spent 20k yet on all of the above. I wish I could have started with the 500 after permit but I didn't look hard enough. I also got all of my equipment from non distilling suppliers and never told them it was for a distillery or prices always went up. Used dairy and food processing equipment is cheap find a good welder and you can save a TUN of money but it does take a lot of leg work and the ability to the out of the box. All this in 2 years. For the safety readers All pressure, anti vacuum, venting and piping is a must when going this route.

I think you're going to have a tough time making any sizeable quantity of vodka with just four plates. In the grand scheme of things a few extra stilldragon plates (or just a custom column) won't cost you very much, and it's going to save you a lot of man hours and energy for all the redistilling to hit 190.

As for the size/capacity, it's really irrelevant as a general question. We know your budget, but how much do you think you'll be selling and how much time do you want to spend in front of your still each month?

If you are looking for a cheap mash tun, I have attached a photo of one I have been using for 3 years. Conversion factor of 10%. Built out of a milk tank. The agitator motors do not go with it. I'm asking $800.00. Call me at 608-335-2461. I'm getting too old to get in and out of it to clean it. Going to a smaller one with a side door.

post-10686-0-65854200-1448470104_thumb.j

Hi Denver Distiller,

I can give you a much better price than Still Dragon and our stills come complete with agitators, heating systems and controllers, plus we have modular columns similar to Still Dragon's including modular copper columns. We have a new standard series line of stills that are not on our site. Email me at paul@distillery-equipment.com for info, reference list and a list of distilleries that you can visit to see our equipment in operation.

• Thumbs up 1

Stay classy.

Larry and Stilldragon are a great company, nothing but positive things to say about the equipment and the support. Their pro community is robust and growing. The level of collaboration on the pro side is astounding, easily the top online community. It's obvious that the open community model is yielding better results, better products, and provides better support. Their products continue to get better and better, the new stuff is jaw dropping.

I'm not knocking Still Dragon in any way. They have some good products. Here are some pictures of some of our Jaw Dropping equipment: 300 gallon Copper Top Ultra Pro Whiskey Still with Gin Basket and CIP. The Copper Top on this still is over 1/4" thick. You can hand her down to your Great Grand kids and they can hand her down to theirs.

300%20gallon%20copper%20top%20Ultra%20Pr

Do you have a low ceiling but you want a Vodka Still that will produce 192 proof? Here is one of our low profile 20 plate Ultra Pro Vodka Stills with gin basket and CIP throughout. Look down below the first stainless column, from left to right, to see the CIP pump and plumbing. It's hard to imagine balancing all of those columns manually isn't it? That's no problem. All of our new pro Series models come with explosion proof automated dephlegmator control.

You can run vapor through every plate in every column, or you can run vapor through any number of plates from 1 to 20 or you can open any number of plates that you like. You don't have to take it apart to clean it or or open plates. You can by pass any or all of the offset columns. You can produce any spirit at any proof that you like with this still

Striking isn't she?

300%20gallon%20Ultra%20Pro%20Vodka%20spl

Here is a pretty little vodka still with a Gin Basket

300%20gallon%20Pro%20Series%20Vodka%20St

100 gallon Pro Series, Ultra Pro Baine Marie Whiskey still with gin basket. All the agitators on our Pro Series Stills are explosion proof, veritable speed, geared agitators

Ultra%20Pro%20Whiskey%20Still%20with%20G

Cute little Baine Marie Pro Series Pot Still

Baine%20Marie%20Pro%20Series%20Pot%20Sti

Note the size of the condensers on my Pro Series Stills. Are you limited by your condensers capacity? No worries here. The condensers on my pro series stills will handle a 1.5 hr stripping run.

Apples to Apples my Pro series stills are typically 1/2 the price of my North American and European Competitors.

Chack us out at http://distillery-equipment.com

• Thumbs up 1