Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 04/22/2021 in all areas

  1. I found some very interesting technical resources that are relevant here. Pharmaceutical compounding syrups technology is very relevant. I found this great presentation that discusses how to preserve a syrup via water/alcohol vs sugar concentrations (starts on page 64) and general syrup technical goodness: https://www.philadelphia.edu.jo/academics/rmansour/uploads/Pharmaceutics/Solutions.pptx Great free Sugar Technology textbook: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/9781444314748 I found the exercises in Appendix B particularly helpful. Table starting on page 31: https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/TechnicalProceduresManual[1].pdf Cool calculator: https://www.vinolab.hr/calculator/gravity-density-sugar-conversions-en19
    1 point
  2. I'm not done yet but wanted to update progress. First let me add that my botanical bill has a few unusual botanicals in it so all past experience may not be applicable here. I extracted each botanical individually and added sugar to each. One botanical, Star Anise clouded up immediately. The rest stayed clear. I experimented with Anise and Fennel as substitutes. Each remained clear with added sugar but Fennel was a better match for my recipe. As mentioned, I was not able to get the Baker's Sugar nut I was able to get a good sized sample of low color, metals and turbidity liquid sugar from Indiana Sugars which is ideal. I ran a batch using the Indiana Syrup and Flocculation occurred quickly even after running it through a haze filter. For filtering I followed up on Foreshot's suggestion of using the Borosilicate cartridge filter. I spoke with TCW and they were very helpful. My development batch size is small (1 liter) so the TWC filter is not appropriate yet. To test the approach I used vacuum filtering with paper disk filters. Here are links to the parts I use: Borosilicate Glass Microfiber Filter Paper, 1.1 Micron Buchner funnel Pump Flask The paper filter is an imperfect fit to the Buchner so being super careful to make sure your seal is as good as possible is important. The results were impressive, much clearer. But I still got flocculation after a while, even with the high quality syrup. Lastly I chill filtered the final product. I put the product in the freezer for hours and ran it through the Buchner in my refrigerator. So far this seems to be the key. Absolutely clear. Time will tell if flocculation occurs. My b=botanical concentration was too high in the experiments above so those experiments are worst case scenarios. I have a batch in process now at what I beleive will be the final botanical concentration, using ordinary crystal sugar and using chill filtering with the borosilicate filter paper. Fingers crossed and i will report back when I have results.
    1 point
  3. More geekery: The micro/nano particles of plant remnants in sugar are colloids. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloid Colloids are groups of molecules bound together vs individual molecules. Think of it this way: A small amount of sugar in water will dissolve completely in water. Those remnant particles from the sugar that are not dissolved are colloids. They are extremely small particles: 1 micron or less. Due to their light weight they can be suspended in the liquid for a time. There are multiple forces that dictate how long the colloidal materials are able to be suspended. The wiki article is kinda crazy with the science. Colloids are like dust, on their own you don't really see them. Once they come together (aggregate) then you can. Video of large particles flocculating in space:
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...