Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


JNorris last won the day on June 14 2019

JNorris had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

2 Neutral

About JNorris

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thatch - If you still need some help, shoot me an email and I will try to help you with your reports. No sales pitch, just a little assistance. Jennifer@whiskeysystems.com
  2. I mentioned in another post that the TTB was looking at ages in barrels for the new regulations. Here is the TTB response to the proposed regulation: 8. AGE STATEMENTS In Notice No. 176, TTB proposed to incorporate its current policy that only the time in a first oak barrel counts towards the “age” of a distilled spirit. That is, if spirits are aged in more than one oak barrel (for example, if a whisky is aged 2 years in a new charred oak barrel and then placed into a second new charred oak barrel for an additional 6 months), only the time spent in the first barrel is counted in the
  3. Taxes are realized when the bottled product leaves your DSP. As far as your reports go, you should be filing operations reports and excise reports from the day you received your DSP permit from the Feds, even if they are zeros.
  4. To be clear, a lot of wine is made with added sugar. Good wine is not made with added sugar.
  5. Jon - I talk to new distillers all the time about what they should be doing at their distillery. Give me a shout if you have time: Jennifer@whiskeysystems.com
  6. I bought a Master Distillation kit from Pellet Labs: https://pelletlab.com/product/master-distillers-1000ml-distillation-kit/ I have sent so many of my distillers to them that I should be getting some sort of commission, but alas, no. You can also find them on Amazon with free shipping, if you are lucky. You do not need an Anton Paar, the gauging manuals are based on thermometer and hydrometer measurements. Buy a calibrated thermometer and calibrated hydrometers and LEARN HOW TO USE THEM CORRECTLY! Here is a video from Rudolph here as well as the instructions written out on h
  7. I have done this and seen it done in other distilleries as well. You must have a formula and have label details as to what is in the bottle. You have to be very explicit in your method of manufacture on your formula as to what you are doing to make sure they give you an accurate qualification. My label ended up stating 375mL of whatever spirit, and 375mL of whatever fruit. Be aware this is a 750mL bottle, but only 375mL of taxable alcohol. There are a number of other current COLAs available on the public registry that you can look through for reference, but just because they a
  8. As one of my distillers said "Processing is the account of no return." Movements out of processing can only be done via a redistillation otherwise spirits will stay there until they are bottled and sold. All adding of ingredients must be done in processing. See below two CFRs regarding flavorings, batch records and accounts. I am no dhdunbar so maybe he can chime in. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/19.342 § 19.342 Receipt of spirits, wines, and alcoholic flavoring materials for processing. (a)Receipt of bulk spirits. A proprietor may receive bulk spirits into t
  9. My objection to this is the same as we see in the grocery stores currently, if you have noticed. Many food producers are moving to smaller size packages, incrementally smaller most times, and the prices remain the same. For example (I do not drink milk, so I purchase a lot of orange juice) the standard carton of OJ is 64 oz, or it was a few/ten years ago. They have moved from 64 to 59 oz. AND now have moved from 59 to 52 oz, yet the price remains nearly the same for less volume. How many consumers notice this?? If large producers are allowed to do 700ml instead of 750ml, do you
  10. While visiting a distillery in Iowa, I saw she used the Whiskey Systems printed barrel labels on paper inside a plastic packing list pouch. They were easy to read and waterproof.
  11. One piece of advice is to make sure your customs broker has dealt with spirits before. AND that they knows that bulk spirits imported to a US distillery does not have to pay taxes as part of the customs and duty charges. This is very important and will save you many a headache, and money, if you do your research on a broker and ask these questions up front before you import anything!
  12. Here is a bit of info from the BAM about ages. While you do not have to store the spirits for a specific time in barrel, you do need to state the time in barrel if under 4 years on the label. FYI, the BAM is only a guide. https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter8.pdf
  13. I did a product in a box where none of the labels were visible. I spoke to the Marketing section of the TTB and was informed that if the brand labels were not visible, then the approved label would need to be on the packaging so that the customer knew what was in the box. That is why so many gift boxes etc. have clear fronts. They may still have an option where you can speak to them about Marketing. It was option 5, but that may have changed. I would call and verify so that you have the info straight from them.
  14. True. They used to have a QA email address where you could send COLAs to someone for them to review, but they have since made it SO much easier to get a hold of them. You know, leave a message and no one ever calls you back and no more email addresses out there, just some contact form that no one ever responds to. I might be able to dig up the email address, but I fear it won't work anymore. Calling and waiting on hold is your best bet.
  15. I was looking further into the CFR changes, and I found this: "Finally, TTB proposes to supersede Revenue Ruling 69-58, which deals with rules for age statements that have been incorporated in the regulations." Which tells us absolutely nothing. Further digging found this: Rev. Ruling 69-58 Advice has been requested whether under the provisions of 27 CFR 5.39(a), a storage statement is required on labels of a non-American type whisky which has been stored in reused cooperage for four years or more. Under the provisions of 27 CFR 5.39(a), an age statement is opti
  • Create New...