carbon monoxide

Hudson bay distillers

good morning does any one know if mashing (malt barley) produces carbon monoxide .

here why , our mashtun is pre heated with our hydronic system that brings the mash water up to 140 F , this takes about 6 hours . so last night before leaving we put water and grain in mashtun to pre heat over night expecting to wake up and have 400 gallons of mash almost to temp , inject the rest of the heat and done deal . well at 430 this morning i wake up to the alerts from gas sensors saying there is a carbon monoxide issue . our tun room is air tight with xp ventilation system so i turn it on and in a few min the alerts stop . so question is can the mash tun produce carbon monoxide . this is the first time this has happened so not sure if alarm system is malfunctioning or is there really carbon monoxide being produced some how . 

im thinking if i put kims cat in there and check on it in half hour i would know if the sensor is lying . 

tim 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:52 AM, Hudson bay distillers said:

this takes about 6 hours . so last night before leaving we put water and grain in mashtun to pre heat over night expecting to wake up and have 400 gallons of mash almost to temp , inject the rest of the heat and done deal .

You will have bacterial fermentation taking place here, probably generating co2.

Youll spend lots of time in temp ranges that the lacto and other bacteria on the grain will be very happy in.